Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question regarding my lift/tires

Old 02-24-2018, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question regarding my lift/tires

Hello all, new user from Colorado.

I have a question regarding my plan to upgrade my jeep with a lift and new tires. I know it's cheaper to install these myself, however I have no garage and some physical disablity that prevents me from crawling around with just jack stands. There is a DIY garage in town and I am waiting to hear back from them that has a full lift.

I got a price quote from 4wheelparts, I know they don't have the best reputation for doing things right the first time. In their quote they are throwing in a bunch of stuff that I didn't know I'd need that do not come with the kit or tires. Are they trying to nickle and dime me or should I use rockauto or another site to get these parts?

Some examples for lift (there are some others for tires/rims as well):
7 PXA 1/2 Spline 5 $42.99
5 643 XPA SNAP-IN TPMS $34.99
5 243 BLU GB-2950 1/4 oz stick $14.95

PLUS they want to charge $350 for Xtreme plus warranty, would the mfg warranty not cover this?

Thanks all.

Last edited by Darkwolf73; 02-24-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

you are not really clear on what you are asking but I surmise you are having them install new wheels and tires. You can reuse your old tpms. looks like they are going to charge you for balancing weights not sure what the other thing is maybe locking lug nuts one for each wheel. If you are using your stock rims no need at all to replace the sensors unless your rig is older and they are getting close to having battery issues.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response jadmt. They will be new 17" wheels, I was told using my stock 16" on my 2011 JK would cause excess wear on the new 34" tires. I just wanted to make sure, if I do go with 4wp to install they were on the up and up or if I do it myself there are no surprises and I can't complete the work without a boatload of extra parts I didn't know I'd need.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Looks like they are selling you new splined style lug nuts that may be required for your wheels, tire pressure sensors, and I guess the last one is maybe blue loctite. Are you installing wheel adapters? If they are telling you you need adapters simply find a different wheel with proper back spacing

you can use factory wheels if you want but a 17”x8.5 or 17”x9 with a 4.5” back space would be better with the bigger wider tires. If using factory wheels you get more tire bulge since they are narrow and would require adapters to keep from rubbing at full lock.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Around my area, 4WP is really hit and miss. You'd think they could easily install a lift, but I've seen some real questionable idiotic things from them. That said, it's really a location by location thing and boils down to the people on hand....both quality of store management and quality of shop workers....which is same issue you can run in to at any shop. If you are limited physically, it's probably worthwhile to pay for someone to install, but at the very least I'd double check the torque on all components after the fact.....something you should do anyhow after about 500 miles of installation. You didn't specify what lift you're having installed, but for something basic you shouldn't be paying more than a couple hundred in labor.....going up a bit if you're talking a very complete lift with full set of arms and whatnot.

It looks like their "extreme warranty" covers both parts AND labor. I'm not a big warranty person myself. If you're installing some quality components, usually a manufacturer will stand behind those if there's a problem, typically even if you're outside of the warranty period you can get some help. If you're just talking about a lower end lift, probably not gonna get the same type of attention from the manufacturer. The warranty would be hit and miss. I personally wouldn't pay $350 for some "extreme warranty". I don't get the sense that is part of their "tire warranty" either....as that looks to be separate.....just going from what is on their site.

$15 for loctite seems a bit redonk. Lugnuts might be justified. The TPMS part is actually just the stem that snaps in right....not the full TPMS sensor. I've not had to swap TPMS from one wheel to the other, but they may indeed need new stems to do that.

Quick Reply: Question regarding my lift/tires