Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Questions?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions?

I may be trading my 09 2 door for a 2014 4 door but I have some questions.

1. Is the new motor better than the old?
2. Does the new 3.6 burn oil like the old 3.8

On my 09 it has a soft top on the new it's a hard top and the big question there is does the hard top leak like the soft top or does it acually keep water out?

Any other info on some of the differences is also appreciated.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I never had the 3.8, but the new motor pretty overwhelmingly gets better reviews here compared to the 3.8. Much more horsepower AND better MPG. Early 2012's had some random head issues that are now resolved. I'm at 47,000 miles on my 2012. So far doesn't burn a drop of oil. Still runs like new. I have the hard top. Sometimes with a driving rain I see some wetness on my drivers side floor. Otherwise, no leaks.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine doesn't leak. The motor has way more power than the 3.8 in my '09, and I haven't had head problems.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3.6 paired with the automatic is leaps ahead of the 3.8 w/ automatic transmission. If both engines have a correctly geared 6 speed manual, the benefits are much more marginal.

No major reports of oil burning, but neither with the majority of the 3.8s either.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

the hard top wont leak as long as you dont dmg the weather stripping when you put it on and off and you tighten it down properly when you put it back on. ive seen alot less vocal complainers reguarding the 3.6 then the 3.8 and both are good engines for the most part. I love my '14 jku rubicon, would not trade it for any other vehicle out there.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys. The 3.8 in my 09 burned oil from the day I got it. I've read a lot of people say the same about it in fact I think there is a thread on here called the oil sucking 3.8 or something close to that. I regularly go into auto shops for my work and have heard a couple different mechanics say that the 3.8 is notorious for developing a low end knock as well.

As for the hard top and water leaking, that's a concern of mine too. I'm the type of person who feel as tho when the top is on you should be dry not the oh well it's a jeep it's supposed to be dirty guy. The soft top would leak on the top of both doors drip down and hit the door handle and soak right into either your pants or the seat if it was just parked. To me that's unexceptable especially since the price tag on this new jeep is just about 35,000 bucks!!

Another question is how much does the ride quality improve with the longer wheel base?

Again any other info is appreciated guys!!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 AM
JK Freak

Default Improved

Originally Posted by 09DARKORANGEJK
Thanks for the info guys. The 3.8 in my 09 burned oil from the day I got it. I've read a lot of people say the same about it in fact I think there is a thread on here called the oil sucking 3.8 or something close to that. I regularly go into auto shops for my work and have heard a couple different mechanics say that the 3.8 is notorious for developing a low end knock as well.

As for the hard top and water leaking, that's a concern of mine too. I'm the type of person who feel as tho when the top is on you should be dry not the oh well it's a jeep it's supposed to be dirty guy. The soft top would leak on the top of both doors drip down and hit the door handle and soak right into either your pants or the seat if it was just parked. To me that's unexceptable especially since the price tag on this new jeep is just about 35,000 bucks!!

Another question is how much does the ride quality improve with the longer wheel base?

Again any other info is appreciated guys!!
Much improved motor and ride. Be prepared for water leaks with the hardtop.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 AM
JK Freak

the roof leaks like a siv if you dont tighten the shank bolts that go through the soundbar, if you leave them off, ya youre gonna get wet, if you hand tighten them to snug, i havent had a drop get in yet.

the longer wheel base gives steeper accend and decent angles, and my 14 JKUR rides buttery smooth. even with the knobby mud terrains.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
the roof leaks like a siv if you dont tighten the shank bolts that go through the soundbar, if you leave them off, ya youre gonna get wet ...
This must vary by Jeep. I haven't used those in seven years and have no leaks. Of course, I have a lot of weight up there with my rack. LOL.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This must vary by Jeep. I haven't used those in seven years and have no leaks. Of course, I have a lot of weight up there with my rack. LOL.
ya your wrack weight is likely causing the gaskets to fully seat, the you tube vids of hard top removals all point out that you can leave the bolts out, but they will leak in heavy rains if your roof is stock, the freedom top handles do a decent job of making sure it stays on, but the 2 bolts really seat the seal good once you get them finger tight.

in alot of pics of your jeep you have a tire sitting like right on your freedoms...... thats easily holding them down tight

Quick Reply: Questions?