Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

questions about washing

Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about washing

So i noticed that the manual says to never go through an automatic car wash with a soft top. Is this true? I have seen Jeeps with soft tops go through car washes before so I wasnt sure.

Also, any suggestions on a good wheel cleaner to use for the Sahara 18" wheels.
I have always had to experiment around with my other cars untill I found the right brand for that wheel, and wondered if anyone knew what worked best.

Thanks.

Last edited by bkiehn; 12-20-2006 at 07:49 AM. Reason: oops, put in the wrong wheel size
Old 12-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bkiehn
So i noticed that the manual says to never go through an automatic car wash with a soft top. Is this true? I have seen Jeeps with soft tops go through car washes before so I wasnt sure.

Also, any suggestions on a good wheel cleaner to use for the Sahara 18" wheels.
I have always had to experiment around with my other cars untill I found the right brand for that wheel, and wondered if anyone knew what worked best.

Thanks.

I am afraid to put mine through an automatic wash.

I have heard you can do it, but it wears the top out faster. I wonder if it is more that the waxes and harsh cleaners get sprayed all over the soft top, or that those big heavy towel-like dragging things would wear on the top?

This is a good question. This is my first soft top vehicle.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The concern is with older carwahses - it has to do with the big wheel (sensor) that rolls along the roof of the car.

Sometimes these wheels can damage the top or tear it.

I had a soft top jeep and took it through maybe 50 car washes and it was fine.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Default Washing your rig

I realize some owners have limitations like if they live in an apartment complex with limited hose access or cold weather freezing up hoses left outside. But guys ( women included ) hand wash your rig. What's it take 10-15 minutes if you set your mind to it and get a systematic approach down pat. Automatic washing systems are really tough on paint and tops as a general rule.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Did that drivethrough have the giant blowers that blown down at the end? I thought those also looked a bit intimidating. Not the direction wind generally hits the top from.

Also was thinking if you run after a truly filthy vehicle, or you are that guy, that the flaps would drag the dirt across your plastic windows, scratching them in the process.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

There are a lot of laser car washes around here. Nothing touches the vehicle except soap and high pressure water with a blower at the end. It will let you know if you have a leaky freedom top.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Good point about the flaps dragging dirt and such across the softop windows..never thought of that. I prefer to handwash my Jeep in the driveway on a nice day
Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

I've been hitting the old school do it yourself wand wash with the brush. These things promote beating the hell out of your jeep. The hose is constaltly wacking the side of the jeep I end up hitting the brush against some protruding portion of the jeep everytime. On the upside I can direst the high pressure water in such a way theat it doesn't hit the zippers directly. So far the inside seems to stay dry. I still keep a rag to wet & clean the plastic windows. I'm pretty sure the brush will leave marks. My bigest goal with the soft top is to have the windows still as clear as possible when I have to replace the top. I don't want foggy windows to be the reason it gets replaced.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Automatic car washes, even brushless are terrible on soft-tops and even hard on paint.

hand wash

If you are off-roading, use the car wash(manual one) to spray off the mud. Just stand back some, then hand wash it.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

And you can drink an ice cold beer while you handwash your rig!

Quick Reply: questions about washing