Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing locking lug with no key

Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing locking lug with no key

I bought my Jeep used and one of the lug nuts holding the spare to the carrier is the locking type. I have searched this Jeep high and low and I can't find any socket that unlocks this lugnut.

Do I just cut it off? And if I do, can I get another stud to replace the one I cut off? Has anyone had to do this before?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

i would say go to a jeep dealership and tell them that and I'm sure they'll give you the lock socket for free if not maybe like 5- 10 bucks.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this last weekend with junk yard axles. I welding a regular lug nut on the locking nut and and used my impact to get it off. Just make sure you set a good bead or it will just spin off the locking nut
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Take it to a Chrysler dealer. They will either take off the lugs and replace them or you can purchase a locking lug kit (it comes with 5 locks) and the lug insert. They are universal, so it would work.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've head of people using a socket that is just smaller than the size of the locking lug and then using a hammer to drive it onto the locking lug. You loose the lug and risk damage to a socket, but it's a dang sight cheaper than having a dealer try to extract it. Another alternative would be to take it to Discount Tire if you have one near you. They are good at getting stuff like that off.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I took it to Chrysler and they said there's a locking lugnet set they carry but it has a couple hundred different locking lugs so it would depend on which kit you got. They also said it didn't look like one they sold and perhaps the previous owner got it from an auto parts store.

Maybe I'll try discount tire.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got an impact wrench, just don't have a welder.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matzjeep
The socket trick works, use an inpact socket if you have one. This trick is as old as the locking lugs! ;-)
+1
I've been stuck in the woods with a flat tire because the last place that did my tire rotation stripped my key. I hammered a 3/4" socket on the lug and wrenched it off. Without this trick, I wouldn't have been able to get my spare tire on and would have had a very expensive tow bill otherwise. I'm very careful with who does my tire rotations now and nobody uses an impact gun on my key.

Last edited by bo9roadking; 11-30-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe I can find an old 3/4 socket and try the hammering trick.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A

Quick Reply: Removing locking lug with no key