Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

replacing diff fluids...

Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing diff fluids...

so everyone in past threads has seemed to agree that a good quality (royal purple, redline, etc.) are all good diff fluids to use. However, due to the cost of said fluids, i would like to know how much i need per diff so i do not have to make multiple trips. Does anyone know exactly how many quarts go in?? I would check my manual... but it got soaked in the last rain storm and i had to toss it. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Differential, with 186 FBI Front..........2.1 pints
Differential, with 216 FBI Front..........2.7 pints
Differential, with 198 RBI Rear..........3.9 pints
Differential, with 226 RBI Rear..........4.7 pints
Old 12-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get aftermarket covers? The listed levels may be too little if you are using a different cover. Rougly speaking the front takes 1.5 quarts on mine and the rear takes 2.5 quarts. Add that up and I'd say you're good to go with 4 quarts.

I'd recommend spending the money on Lube Lockers too. I knocked my differential on a rock at Beasley Knob and it was apparently enough to break the RTV seal. Seemed odd, but there was no other explanation -- I had run it months and several off-road trips before that without a problem. The Lube Locker is unproven for me, but I've heard allot of good things. It sure made the job more pleasant. That RTV is some noxious stuff.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tgrt
Did you get aftermarket covers? The listed levels may be too little if you are using a different cover. Rougly speaking the front takes 1.5 quarts on mine and the rear takes 2.5 quarts. Add that up and I'd say you're good to go with 4 quarts.

I'd recommend spending the money on Lube Lockers too. I knocked my differential on a rock at Beasley Knob and it was apparently enough to break the RTV seal. Seemed odd, but there was no other explanation -- I had run it months and several off-road trips before that without a problem. The Lube Locker is unproven for me, but I've heard allot of good things. It sure made the job more pleasant. That RTV is some noxious stuff.
I have the Solid dif covers and I used about the same amount of fluid as you. I also got the lube lockers and I love them so far. No drips and they made install alot easier. I'll have to see how they hold up once the covers take a few hits. Our stock front cover took a good hit and the diff filled with water on our last trip out. I hope the lube lockers solve that problem.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

thanks for the replys... so i assume that after you drain, you just fill until it reaches the top hole correct??

also... where are you all picking up lube lockers??
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07JKX
thanks for the replys... so i assume that after you drain, you just fill until it reaches the top hole correct??

also... where are you all picking up lube lockers??
That is correct if you are using the stock covers, but not if you are using aftermarket ones with a higher fill plug. If you are using aftermarket ones, you still want to fill to the same height as your stock cover fill plugs. Otherwise the fluid will get sucked out your vent tube and make a mess.

I got my lube lockers from David at Northridge 4x4.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/products.php?cat=90
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 AM
JK Junkie

yeah... i am still running stock... thanks for the link!

i have an X with tow package and 410's... i assume i have a D30 front and D44 rear?? can anyone confirm?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 on Northridge 4x4.

Don't worry about getting a little overfull. When I first switched off the covers I removed the fill plug on both differentials and gear oil flowed out for a few seconds -- they overfilled them from the factory.

I think you should have a drain plug on your differentials too (I did on my D44 axles) so if you don't have to remove the cover I wouldn't bother.

I think you possibly could have a D35 in the rear. I'm pretty sure your front is a D30.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM
JK Junkie

I think they all have drain plugs now. And Im pretty sure only the early builds had D35 rears. So you should have a D30 and D44. Check your build sheet. I know there was a thread floating around with all the diff shapes. I think one of the Modulators posted it.... maybe Rubimon
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

thanks so much again!! i will go ahead and pick up the lube lockers and some quality fluids... just unbolt the diff covers after draining and replace with the lub locker seals and refill... cool

Quick Reply: replacing diff fluids...