Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rocks and Side Steps

Old 10-20-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocks and Side Steps

The Short: I am going to Tellico in November
The Issue: I have Tube Steps
The Question: Should I remove them prior to hitting the rocky trails?

I don't really care if the get smashed up, but I do not want them folding the body up at the pinch seam or the tub underneath. I have jacked the vehicle up from them and no issue. Perhaps only a hard hit would do damage?

Opinions?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

The Jeep manual itself actually states that if you go off-roading, you should remove side-steps.

They don't mention the tubular ones but I would assume it would hold true for that statement as well. Unless they are a type of armor, I'd remove them.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have wheeled with a few guys that had tube steps, and in the cases I mentioned we've had to stop in the midle of the run to take them off. I haven't seen your steps, but if you think they could be a problem they'll probably will.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

10-4 thats what i was thinking... i just didn't know if there were any reports of folks sittin down on them and rolling up the bottom of the jeep.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't remember seeing your tube steps. You'll probably mess them up on a couple of the last remaining difficult trails from everything I've heard. Not sure if they'd mess up the pinch seem, but you may mess up the pinch seem on the rocks without them. It might be a catch-22.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tgrt
I don't remember seeing your tube steps. You'll probably mess them up on a couple of the last remaining difficult trails from everything I've heard. Not sure if they'd mess up the pinch seem, but you may mess up the pinch seem on the rocks without them. It might be a catch-22.
until i have sliders...

1) i dont go first
2) if someone ahead of me makes crunchy, i go around
3) if i cant go around, i turn around
Old 10-22-2008, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

I installed the sahara side steps on mine right after I bought my Rubicon to assist in my girlfriend in getting in, and to save from door dings from other cars....so far so good....I wheel all the time, and have rubbed them here and there, and I began to get cocky with them..pushing their durability more each time...last weekend I tore up the passenger side step after the front falling down into a hole.....I will probably switch my rock sliders back on and fab a step into them.....the side steps limits your ability to crawl over and squeeze through obstacles as will your tube steps...

I would say take the tube steps off if you are tackling a difficult trail..other wise if you can just drive around the obstacle go for it.....
Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have tube steps on my 2 door. They have saved my pinch seam a couple of times. Better them than the pinch seam and if you crunch both at the same time well...

Quick Reply: Rocks and Side Steps