Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Roof Rack or Trailer?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Rack or Trailer?

Pros/cons? Doing some research.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I personally do not like the look of roof racks on the jeep. I just think they seem to stick out in a awkward way, if your talking about the racks for the soft top. Just looks strange with bars going from bumpers/body/windshield up over roof Have not seen any of the ones made to bolt to hard top around town. I have a trailer for hauling stuff
Old 11-20-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Super Freak

rack is nice for off-road.

For just traveling...I'd go with a small trailer. Gas mileage probably wouldn't take as big a hit with a very small trailer 5'x8' type of trailer compared to a roof rack with all your luggage, etc, on top.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Trailer, unless you have a unique need for a roof rack. Comparing $, it's a wash. Personally, I would buy the trailer - offers more utility (mulch, lumber, aftermarket bumpers, etc.).

JN
Old 11-20-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

With this JK, it's the first time I haven't had both. I use my trailer quite a bit, but still miss the convenience of the roof rack for certain things.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Wild Boar roof rack. Really like it and sometimes I get more compliments on the rack than I do on the Jeep itself. Anyways, I got it from the dealership in hardly used condition for free. They only asked me $80 to install it. I used some auto grade silicone and a little touch up with black paint and it looks like brand new. Certainly gives the Jeep a more fuctional, useful look. People say it looks like I'm ready for a safari. Nothing but good compliments on it.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I have both.

I have the gobi low profile rack and a camper trailer. I have not used both but I like the option. Depending on location and type of wheeling I could use either or both. The trailer has 40 gal water storage plus I have generator, kitchen, two propane tanks and a large tent. The jeep rack has the same tent with screen room and awning so it's more of where I will go and if I want to tow the trailer plus with the trailer I have more room to carry things without losing seating to fit in the JK.
When I don't want the rack I can remove it keep the windshield section as a light bar as well.
I like the option so that's me.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm leaning to the rack first. It doesn't require any extra room in my driveway.

I do, however, like the versatility of the trailer. I'm also worried the rack will look weird topless.

I guess you can't have everything.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 PM
JK Junkie

If you're asking for off-road in particular, it depends on the kind of off-roading you do. If you plan to do longer term expedition type trips, then there is argument for either and possibly both. I have a rack and love it. It's been used off road many times and have had no issues, however you are limited on the weight nor do you want a ton up there is you are doing a lot of off camber trails as the last thing you want is more weight up top. For that kind of trail, a trailer would be much better.

Cost is also a big factor, a trailer properly equipped will run you several thousands, unless you know how to weld and have access to all the steel and equipment you need to build/add onto the trailer. You can get a real nice rack for about $1000.

As for look with the top off, does not look weird at all in my opinion.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the rack cause I tow a boat.
Rack can be found in my sig block below...

Quick Reply: Roof Rack or Trailer?