JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Is the Rubi worth it? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/rubi-worth-4708/)

K9Jeeper 03-15-2007 10:19 AM

Get what your heart desires, but I'll tell you this. You're going to get to a level where you're going to want to have the Rubicon (if you live near some good 4 wheeling). I'm from Colorado, and have been wheeling for 6 years now. It's a must that I get a Rubicon (and I did). For you, you need to ask yourself what it's worth to you. If you're going to 4 wheel 3 times a year on moderate stuff, save the money and go with the X or Sahara. But if your an offroad fiend like I am, you need the Rubicon, no question about that...

Jeeperson 03-15-2007 10:25 AM

Does anyone know how capeable the LSD is for moderate off roading?

Charles Jenkins 03-15-2007 10:59 AM

Okay, let me phrase my question this way: Other than the YES seat fabric, would you say that every one of the Rubicon's options could be installed later? For example, I know I can buy rock rails at any time. Could I buy the better shocks and the FRONT Dana 44 and Tru-Lok later, if I decided I needed them? The X is not built so differently as to preclude adding Rubicon gear, is it?

MJS_Jeep_888 03-15-2007 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins (Post 46198)
Okay, let me phrase my question this way: Other than the YES seat fabric, would you say that every one of the Rubicon's options could be installed later? For example, I know I can buy rock rails at any time. Could I buy the better shocks and the FRONT Dana 44 and Tru-Lok later, if I decided I needed them? The X is not built so differently as to preclude adding Rubicon gear, is it?

If you seriously think that you're going to have a need for all the aforementioned off-road gear at some point in the future, buy the Rubicon - it'll work out FAR, FAR cheaper to buy installed from the factory than to buy the parts individually, at a mark-up, and then pay for shipping, labor, etc.

On the other hand, a lot of people on this forum aren't trying to duplicate the Rubicon, but are buying an X with the intent of "someday" going even bigger - i.e., huge long-arm lift, 37" meats, lockers, winch bumpers, total armored underbody, etc. If THAT'S your goal, save the 4 grand and buy an X. As I said previously though, if you're just going to try to DUPLICATE a Rubicon, it'll work out way cheaper to just fork out the extra cash right now and order a Rubicon.

I don't think anyone will disagree with this... but I've been wrong before. ;)

Renegade 03-15-2007 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jeeperson (Post 46183)
Does anyone know how capeable the LSD is for moderate off roading?

Waste of money. The BLD feature on the JK makes them obsolete. Just my OPINION of course.

mudblud 03-15-2007 05:33 PM

The terrain is key.
You still haven't said where you plan on wheeling it.
I live in Florida. Lots of mud and sand. Nary a rock, hill mountain to be found. I bought the Rubicon to take to Tellico. I really want to know how it will fare there with a 2.5 lift and only 33s.
Good luck, Charles.