Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is the Rubi worth it?

Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Rubi worth it?

I decided wayyyyy back in October to buy a new Wrangler Unlimited. Back then, I was looking at getting an X and adding some stuff to it, but later I became convinced that it would be better to get the Rubicon. However, during this long period of waiting for the half doors to become available , the price has gone up roughly $1000, depending upon how you look at it. Now, Jeep's information line tells me that the half doors will not be a zero-cost option, like the web site has indicated all these months, but they can't tell me how much of a premium the half doors will cost. I am looking at how to get back some control of what I spend on this vehicle when I can finally order it.

From what I can tell, the Rubicon costs roughly $3000 more than an X configured as similarly as possible. The things that you get standard with the Rubi but cannot order on an X seem to be:
  • Dana 44 Heavy Duty solid FRONT
  • Tru-Lok Remote Locking Differential on the FRONT
  • Rock-Trac instead of Command-Trac
  • Rock Rails
  • Mud terrain tires
  • YES Essential seat fabric

I imagine that I can always install rock rails and mud terrain tires later, instead of financing them. That's a good thing. What I wonder is: Is the other stuff a good deal or not?

This vehicle will primarily be used as a convertible to drive for pleasure on sunny days. I want to be able to do off-roading if I choose, either for fun or in any kind of winter emergency, so I do not want to buy a "crippled" Jeep. However, also I don't want to break the bank if the X is a perfectly capable off-roader. Here are details about the X I compared to a similarly configured Rubicon:
  • 3.8 Liter V6 SMPI Engine
  • 4-Speed Auto
  • 17" Aluminum Wheels
  • P245/75R16 On/Off Road Tires
  • Air Conditioning
  • Trailer Tow Group
  • NG Dana 44 Heavy Duty Rear Axle
  • 4.1 Axle Ratio
  • 7-Speaker Infinity Sound
  • Half Doors
  • Trac-Lok Limited Slip Differential on the REAR

My question for experienced off-roaders is: What do I really give up by not having the Dana 44 and Tru-Lock on the front?

It boils down to this: Rock-Trak, front Dana 44 and Tru-Lok differential, YES seat fabric, and the spiffy Rubicon decal on the hood. Should I pay $3000 more in order to get them? Would you?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

"Crippled Jeep????"

Isn't that an oxymoron
Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does it have the same type of shocks and springs as the Rubi?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins
From what I can tell, the Rubicon costs roughly $3000 more than an X configured as similarly as possible.

This vehicle will primarily be used as a convertible to drive for pleasure on sunny days. I want to be able to do off-roading if I choose, either for fun or in any kind of winter emergency, so I do not want to buy a "crippled" Jeep. However, also I don't want to break the bank if the X is a perfectly capable off-roader.
If you are willing to wait for yours to be built, you might be able to get a comparably equipped Rubicon for $4000 more than an X. The problem is that Rubicons are not being built at the same rate as the X, so it may take longer. The fact is that while the Rubicon is definately more capable off-road, most people will never use it to it's potential. The X is still one of the most capable 4 wheel drive vehicles available today. Only you can decide if it is worth the money to you. If I could have afforded the extra $100 per month it would have cost, I would have bought a Rubicon.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 AM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk-rubicon.com
Does it have the same type of shocks and springs as the Rubi?
the rubi has different shocks, different wheels also as well as the sway bar disconects (not sure if they are avialable on the X yet). I think the rubicon also has skid plates underneath where as the X does not.

I think it all depends on what you are wanting your jeep for and what you plan on doing to your jeep. If you plan on major modifications then getting an X might be a better choice, but if you want a very capable jeep that you plan on leaving stock then youll want the rubicon. If you don't plan on taking it off road much and want a jeep that looks good then a sahara might be the right decision. It all depends, I know there are a lot of people that probably wanted a rubi but didn't want to wait for it so they settled for something else. There are also a lot of people where money is a big issue so they got the X. Honestly I like them all for different reasons, they're all jeeps. Iv been wanting a rubicon since my uncle bought one in 03 tho so thats what I had to have. My sales person got me rubi in 2 weeks so I didn't even have to wait. I actually had a choice between 6 rubis in Texas. The only things I had to have were dual tops, tint, 6 spd and power windows. The dealership added the tint and dual tops.

Id like to add that I went to 5 different jeep dealerships before a salesman even told me that he could get a rubicon. I think they try to sucker people into ordering them becuase they know ones coming to the dealership will sell within days. So don't order one from the first dealer that tells you that it is impossible to get one.

Last edited by TEV; 03-15-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Depends on 1 thing

only one thing.

Are you gonna 'wheel it?

If you are, get it, if not, dont, and then go hang out with the minivans
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins
Would you?
Already did...

Old 03-15-2007, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

There is no answer to your question. Is it worth it to you?

My last jeep was a TJ Sahara. I spent several thousand dollars, and hundreds of hours building it the way I wanted it. At the end, it was a trail only trailer queen that would go anywhere I pointed it. I enjoyed building and driving it, and hated to sell it.

This time around things have changed. I don't have the time to spend building, or wheeling as much as I once did. I ordered a Rubicon Unlimited. With some wheels, tires, a minor lift, and gears, it will do anything I want it to. I'm sure you have seen the threads where people say that the Rubicon is a waste, and you can buy an X and throw a junkyard axle, etc.etc.etc. blah, blah, blah...

The only advice I would offer, is buy what you really want and can afford. If you settle, you will regret it.:sad:

My old TJ...

Last edited by ROKLIMO; 03-15-2007 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

This is a highly subjective topic, and one that's been covered ad infinitum in other posts on the forum... as others have said, it really boils down to: Are you going to wheel it hard? And even then, if you are, what kind of terrain are you up against? If you're a Moab/Rubicon Trail/Paragon person, go with the Rubicon. If, on the other hand, you're running less "rocky" terrain, you'd probably have more than enough capability with an X and a decent lift and some big tires...

Ever broken your front axle wheeling before? Ever been in a past situation with a Wrangler where the standard 4LO wasn't sufficient? If yes, buy the Rubi - if not, buy your X and throw that $3-$4K into a really nice lift, armor, and tires (or better yet, save it, and see how the X fares, STOCK, against your wheeling needs!).

My $.02.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

I'm with MJS alll the way on this.
If it was rocky here, the rubicon would really outshine the x.

To me if you have to ask if you need it, you don't need it.
I've noticed the trend of build it bigger, find bigger obstacles, build it bigger repat.
For me part of the fun of wheeling is wondering if you can do a trail or not. I don't have to do the double black diamond trails to feel like I've done something. Pushing my rigs current abilities is fun enough. It's not like it's limited to rolling over parking blocks in it's current state.

Quick Reply: Is the Rubi worth it?