Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubi or X? What do you guys think

Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi or X? What do you guys think

So I'm looking to buy a 07 or newer 4 door Jeep JK. Now initially i was thinking the rubi but with what i'd like to do with it I'm wondering if its worth the initial extra cash. I want a manual, and i plan on putting on a suspension lift and bigger tires and rims. I really like the sway bar disconnect and the crawl ratio and 4.10 gears but this is going to be a daily driver for me as well. What do you guys think? Also how is the rubi with the 4.10 on the highway?

thanks a lot
Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hookedontronics
So I'm looking to buy a 07 or newer 4 door Jeep JK. Now initially i was thinking the rubi but with what i'd like to do with it I'm wondering if its worth the initial extra cash. I want a manual, and i plan on putting on a suspension lift and bigger tires and rims. I really like the sway bar disconnect and the crawl ratio and 4.10 gears but this is going to be a daily driver for me as well. What do you guys think? Also how is the rubi with the 4.10 on the highway?

thanks a lot
With a manual and the 4:10 gears you'll be a lot better off than if you get an x which won't have 4:10's. It makes a huge difference with larger tires and a lift. If your plan to wheel it some you have the Dana 44 axles with the Rubi and the rock rails (which aren't reallyl all that much) and most importantly, lockers. It's really easy to easy where the extra cost comes from.. .
Old 04-25-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedontronics

thanks a lot
you're worried about a stock vehicle with 4.10's on the highway? WHY? are you thinking you won't be able to cruise at highway speeds?

my rubi has 5.13s and is DD with 35's

what size tires and lift do you think you are going to do?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

I went Rubi. As much as I want to, I probably won't get past 35's for a few years. All the extra goodies being under warranty will serve me well in that time.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Calypso
With a manual and the 4:10 gears you'll be a lot better off than if you get an x which won't have 4:10's. It makes a huge difference with larger tires and a lift. If your plan to wheel it some you have the Dana 44 axles with the Rubi and the rock rails (which aren't reallyl all that much) and most importantly, lockers. It's really easy to easy where the extra cost comes from.. .
pretty much sums it up, except for the fact that they do (or did?) make non-Rubi JKs with 4.10s (don't know if that applies to 6-speeds or just autos... my '07 X auto has 4.10s, and I think that was the gear ratio for the tow package, 6-speed or auto, in '07... not sure about later year models)...

I do kinda wish I had the D44 in front, and the lockers, but if you're on a budget, you can get a very capable JK for less money with an X... basically, if you can spend the $$ for the Rubicon, then I'd say get it, but if not, an X is still a great Jeep
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by btb01
... they do (or did?) make non-Rubi JKs with 4.10s (don't know if that applies to 6-speeds or just autos... my '07 X auto has 4.10s, and I think that was the gear ratio for the tow package, 6-speed or auto, in '07... not sure about later year models)...
That's it: '07 Wranglers with the factory tow pkg had 4.10s. Later years did not. My '07 X has 4.10s and, with 33s, I find it quite "livable" on the Interstate. I would not want to go 35s without regearing, but plenty of folks do and say it works for them. I did go from 20.5 MPG to 15.5 MPG with the tire change. Lots of time and miles on both sets of tires to get reasonably valid numbers.

Quick Reply: Rubi or X? What do you guys think