Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon or Not?

Old 12-30-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon or Not?

Ok here goes. I'm brand new to this forum. I'm sure this may have been asked before, but rather than search all the different threads...... I currently do not own a jeep although I did own an 05 Rubicon. I loved the jeep but hated the mpg and it had no room. Sold it for a truck. Now, times have changed and am really looking at a '12 or '13 unlimited. How capable are just the standard sports or sahara's compared to the Rubi? I like to get out in the rough stuff occasionally so would I regret not getting the Rubicon?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought a Sahara and have (almost) no problem keeping up with my brother's Rubicon. It's amazing what non-Rubicon Jeeps will climb. I end up taking the by-pass on the big rocks instead of breaking parts trying to climb with an open differential

In the end, I should have spent the extra $3k for the Rubicon just for the 4.10's, D44, and lockers. This Jeep thing gets addictive once you buy one!

With 3.73 gears on 33" tires I get 11-13mpg city and 19mpg highway (65mph).

Last edited by Tripletsi; 12-30-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The sahara and sport will go anywhere the rubicon can go unless you need lockers. The extra low transfer case is nice for rock crawling as well so you can go extra slow.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

My jku sahara goes everywhere my friends locked or spoolespoiled yjs and tjs go and usually further
Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no right answer. Build or buy for your individual needs.

For me personally, I found better value in buying a steeply discounted Sport and building it how I want it.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went through this debate before I bought my 2014 sport s, the way I've justified it was like this. I knew I was going to modify my jeep how I wanted it, bigger tires, gears etc. the rubicon was about 5k difference.
For that money you can
Re gear to 4.88's for the tires I wanted, I found Yukon gears for $379 plus $69 for a new carrier, 400 for the install
Yukon zip locker for the rear 750
Gusset front, done at the same time the front axle gets re geared
Change transfer case for a rubi one, $500
JKS sway bar discos
Plus you can throw in a BB and some 35's and be under the price of a rubicon or damn close
But the resale value will obviously be higher for the rubicon, but I'm keeping my jeep so that didn't weigh in too much.

There are a hundred ways to justify which is better, just get what you want or you won't be happy!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I concur with the others in this thread. Buy what you want. A rubicon is not needed because the sports and Sahara are so capable the way they are. Now, with that said, if money isn't a big deal I would have purchased a new rubicon instead of my 2014 sport 2dr, but I won't ever put this jeep in a situation where I would ever "need" a Rubicon.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are very capable. You like to rock crawl the Rubi has got some great options. You want to save some bank, build your own and get a sport...sport!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

the nearest Rock crawl locatin from me in houston is 3 hours one way so I asked myself how often would I make that drive? now the mudding park is 30 minutes away and my sport with snorkel handles that fine.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqman151
... I like to get out in the rough stuff ...
Define "get out in the rough stuff". Also, what are you planning to do with more room in an Unlimited? Finally, would you rather have a turn-key package that is ready to go, or do you expect to spend time building up this Jeep? I ask because the answers should drive what you buy.

Quick Reply: Rubicon or Not?