Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Rubi VS X
Rubicon Unlimited
68.00%
X Unlimited
32.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Rubicon vs X help me decide

Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon vs X help me decide

Looks like I am going to get rid of my 2dr and go to the unlimited.
Here are some pictures of the current JK. I will transfer the lift, tires, wheels, winch and bumpers over. I guess I will sell the Shrockworks 2dr sliders since they will not fit the new one.

I will not be able to spend very much on mods for the new one for a while but moving everything over takes care of alot.

I will be getting an auto so the wife can drive it also. I am running the TF 2.5 Coil lift, MT 17x9 wheels and BFG KM2 35x12.50's. Am I going to be much better off with the 4.10's and 35's compared to the 3.73's on the X?

Give me some opinions please. I just want to know if the extra $8-10K for the rubi is really worth it. Also is there anything I need to know about the unlimited and running the teraflex 2.5 coil lift.
Thanks.

This one just so you know it is not a mall crawler.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice looking Jeep. Now to answer your question from my view... if your 2 door is an X and did what you wanted it to do with the mods you have, go with the X. If you wanted more out of your 2 door X, go with the Rubi.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

If you're getting an auto and putting on bigger treads I'd atleast try and find maybe an nice used 07 with the 4:10s if you're buying new I'd say go with the rubi, unless you're planning on regearing soon. When my girl was lookin at JK's we drove the 4dr with the auto and it was ssssslllllooooowwwww, I was even like WTF and I run 35s on my 2dr. You have a pretty capable rig with the X but INMHO i think it all comes down to the gears. BTW 1st dibs on the shrocks rails
Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

If I could do it over again I would have gotten a Rubicon. They were pretty hard to find when I bought mine. With todays market you could get a hell of a deal on a Rubicon. Just my OP.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lc619fr
If you're getting an auto and putting on bigger treads I'd atleast try and find maybe an nice used 07 with the 4:10s if you're buying new I'd say go with the rubi, unless you're planning on regearing soon. When my girl was lookin at JK's we drove the 4dr with the auto and it was ssssslllllooooowwwww, I was even like WTF and I run 35s on my 2dr. You have a pretty capable rig with the X but INMHO i think it all comes down to the gears. BTW 1st dibs on the shrocks rails

I will be running the 35's on an auto either way I go. I was thinking going to rubi because of the D44 up front and the lockers but I have read alot of horror stories on this site about the sway disconnect having problems. So far my X has been great but going to the heavier 4 door I was really interested in the lockers and 4.10's since I will not have the $$ to regear anytime soon.

You can have 1st dibs on the rails when I put them up for sale.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I was just kiddin dude although i would love to have them....I think you pretty much made up your mind. If you're worried about the disco's can't you just run somebody's manual disco's on for the links that way you can do it when you want not just when it's in 4lo. It's probably a good idea to have the 44 up front and with the 4.10's it will be more bearible
Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Well, you know my opinion. I can SMOKE the 33's with my 3.73's, even without the hypertech loaded.
I did some checking. my tires weigh 4 lbs more than yours each and my rims weigh 8lbs more each (steel vs. alloy)

so it is more than capable. what it really comes down to is the lockers and the disco and the strength of the D44.
if you go with the JKS discos like you said, it comes down to lockers and the D44.
your call bro. me personally, I'd go with whatever you can get the best deal on.
like I told you, depends on how intense of wheeling you think you'll end up doing.
good luck. it'll be a tough choice.
Glad i don't have to make it!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

I bought the rubi because I got a heck of a good deal. I also plan to stay at 33's or smaller so the rubi made sense for me. If you plan to replace tires, wheels, gears, t-case, etc... get the x. Unlimited's are very nice and more practical for most applications. You will love the unlimited.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I got a Rubi because I was/am still planning on leaving the suspension, gears, tires etc.. stock. If I was changing all that I would have went with an X ...

You will get a good deal on a rubi, especially if you can find an 08
Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Rubicon. However, I don't think you should get rid of the real Jeep. Err.. I mean the two door. Make it a two Jeep household!

Your swaybar disconnect system will most likely be fine. Think about it. People that have problems complain. How many people have had problems and how many people haven't? Would Chrysler keep putting them on the new models if they were costing them much money?

Quick Reply: Rubicon vs X help me decide