Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rugged ridge tube steps rusting.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged ridge tube steps rusting.

I have the rugged Ridge tubes steps that are powder coated and it seems like they may be rusting from the inside. Has anybody had issues with this? It seems like any spot that is rust and I go to sand it opens up to huge crater some of them even had moisture in them.
I was going to spray the bars down with bedliner after getting the rust off but it seems pretty bad.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rugged ridge tube steps rusting.

I put the steps on the Jeep shortly after we bought it from the dealer brand-new, it's an '08.
I'm just starting to think at this point I may want to take them off completely and get them all the way around.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check to see what the warranty from Rugged Ridge covers with regards to corrosion? Maybe you could get help there, directly from the manufacturer. Looks like they have a "general" 5-year warranty on most stuff.

That looks pretty bad, though. The way it looks like it's corroding to the inside would make me question their effectiveness and also safety--what if someone stepped one one and it cracked or otherwise disintegrated? I'd call foul on RR.

I went to the Rugged Ridge website, which is a managed brand of Omix-Ada. They seem to brag about their distribution process, and wide range of parts they sell. Quality and selling the best parts didn't seem to be a central focus.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

They only have a 3 year warranty. Whatever, no biggie, thought I could just take them off and refinish them. Well...."it's a Jeep thing..." simple should not be spoken until the job is done. It they took me an hour to get both sides of the steps taken off... I would say 40mins of that was searching my basement and work truck or the right sized tools that I needed. Only to find out my worst fears...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJfNm6XM2g Has anybody had experience sealing up something rusting from the inside… How much longer would it last?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382886161.608577.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	508352
Is this what it looks like under the plastic part of the top step.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive seen a lot of these types of steps rust from the inside out. About the best thing you can do is coat the insides with rust fighter or an equivlant product and make sure there are some drain holes.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fill with spray foam.
Bondo
Paint

Quick Reply: Rugged ridge tube steps rusting.