Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rusty hinges...no solution

Old 03-20-2009, 12:03 PM
HEK
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty hinges...no solution

So last year when I took off the doors I used some "coke" (Coca cola..) to removes some of the rust on the door hinges and it seemed to work. This year I see the rust came back, not only on the hinges of the door but the ones on the bracket attached to the body of the JK.
I searched to see if anyone had found a produt that will stop this cancer but came empty. Wifey thinks I should go to Home Depot and see if they have some rust inhibitor/ Rustoleum paint and paint both sections with this...
Has anyone found a solution that works without having to deal with the dealers ...., thanks ahead...
HEK aka Hector
Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Lookup POR-15 it kills rust, bonds to metal and drys like powdercoating!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

Spray on bed line them
Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rattle can.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:52 AM
HEK
JK Freak

Thanks for all your responses, I will search and hopefully see a picture of someone's rig who's done this repair. I know to do it right I must totally remove both hinges on the door and the frame, but if I can take a short cut I will...

Thanks...
Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hit up eastwood autobody supply on line and use the rust encapslator then coat to with whatever you want. Worked wonders on an F-250 i owned while I lived in michigan. The stuff is great. If you dont want to go that route go to a marine supply store and ask for some rust converter. Follow the directions on the bottle and coat away.

Quick Reply: Rusty hinges...no solution