Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

sahara side steps

Old 07-29-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sahara side steps

Anybody removed their side steps off their sahara, and had issues with their painted fender flares getting chipped ? Thinking about removing mine but don't know if this is a problem.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you off-road enough you will eventually will crack or break the Sahara side-steps. If you want to remove them I am sure you will be able to sell them on this site to someone.

Also, if you do remove them add some rhino lining to the lowers. What I did was add some 3M Clear Bra tape to the rear fenders to protect from rock chips because my tires stick out about 1/2" outside the stock flares. Once the tape gets peppered or scratched just peel and add a new piece.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Took my steps off a couple weeks ago and have had no problem. I have not really wheeled it yet though...just road miles.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi

I actually bought some Sahara side steps for my X. I have a 3.5 mile gravel road to my house, that means 7 miles of gravel every time I leave the house. The gravel was eating up my paint. I got them because I can't stand mudflaps. I'll get sliders someday, as long as they are wide enough to protect the paint as well. I'm leaning towards the Terraflex sliders.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I removed mine and my rear fenders are getting pretty chipped up. My tires stick out about an inch and i do have the rubicon sliders now but still get chipped when on gravel. I havent been to worried about it im getting new fenders soon but taking off the sahara side steps will allow more rocks to be thrown up on the fenders.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

I hope to get bigger tires one day, but for now I still have the stock duelers. Do you guys think most of your chips are due to having wider tires ? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derrick JK
I hope to get bigger tires one day, but for now I still have the stock duelers. Do you guys think most of your chips are due to having wider tires ? Thanks for the help.

The Sahara side steps actually help out a lot for rock chips along the door lowers and rear fender flares and reduce the sandblasting of the paint. The stock tires & side step you should have very little debris kicking up onto your rear flares. The wider tires do kick up more gravel and mud along the side & rear fender flares of the JK...but the Side Steps still help out.

Like I stated above....get some Clear 3M bra tape and cut to the shape of the rear flare to the point that it will cover the front portion of the painted flare to reduce rock chips and sandblasting. It has worked really well on my JK...when the 3M tape gets so pitted or scratched just heat up with a blow dryer peel off and stick on new sheet of 3M clear bra tape!!! The flare looks like new when you peel that 3M bra tape.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

I removed mine 'cuz I installed some RockRails... You should consider that mod if you are going to wheel frequently
Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

My Sahara had 42K on it when I bought it and the rear fenders looked great. Pulled the side steps and put on rock rails and 3K later the rear fenders are already starting to look a little rough. The rock rails, however, have saved me body damage while wheeling on more than a couple of occasions. So, I'll live with the fenders being a little chipped up. Even the owners manual tells you to remove the side steps if going off road.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

The side steps save your jeep from door dings from those idiots in parking lots.

Quick Reply: sahara side steps