Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sahara Tan

Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sahara Tan

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to the forum but have had a handful of CJs and TJs. I'm considering a 2012 Sahara Tan 4 door. It seems to be a rare color but I'm having a hard time deciding if that's good or bad. I probably won't keep it forever so I'd like to be able to sell it for a reasonable price when I'm ready. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2014 Dune Rubicon. I wanted Sahara Tan but Jeep changed the color slightly. I get a lot of compliments. IMHO, they both have kind of a military look. I don’t think you’ll have any problem selling it.

Last edited by drew; 01-16-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

I'd agree it's not a color you see as often, but I wouldn't be worried about resale value based on color. I don't think there are any JK colors that would be a deal breaker on a sale.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sahara tan was only offered in 2011 and for the first month of production in 2012 due to supply issues from the tsunami in Japan. I was never going to buy new in ‘12 as I was going to wait a year or so and let someone else take the depreciation hit. However when I learned they’d stop offering that color, I placed an order for new. It was the only color I liked on the current jeeps. It’s fantastic if you offroad and are prone to “pinstriping” as it’s an outstanding color to hide dirt and scratches. Cannot imagine why it would hurt resale.

The other tan variants since are nice colors as well imo.

Last edited by fredrok; 01-17-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm in the camp that if it's rare, then it's a good thing for re-sale. Every year Jeep offered standard colors, your red, black, silver and white but every 2 years they came out with premium color offerings that would not be available after their 2 year run. Your Sahara Tan is one of those premium color offerings. It's a unique color where there is bound to be someone that loves that particular color and are willing to pay more for it. It's definitely not one of those colors I would suspect a majority would be turned off by it. The only down-side that I can think of is that Jeep offered multiple Tan color offerings. Sahara Tan, Dune, Gobi, etc. So you're possibly competing against variance shades of Beije/Tan offering preferences.

Me personally, I'm more of a fan of Darker blues and Olive Greens which aren't one of the standard JK color offerings. I also really liked the Gobi color even though Tan is not one of my preferences. Over the entire 10 year life cycle of JK there were only 2 blues they came out with that I liked. So I would definitely be willing to pay slightly more for those colors if I were shopping around. I see no reason there aren't other folks that would feel the same way for the limited edition Sahara Tan especially since it's one of the Military Sand based colors.

There's really only one limited edition color JK color I didn't really care for and that was Xtreme Purple Pearl (or Barney Purple), but people who own them seem to love the color where it even makes a top 10 list of JK Wrangler colors. Different folks, different strokes.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resource...rangler-colors

This is one of the few colors I would walk away from, but I seem to be out of the norm of popular opinion.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-18-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Sahara Tan