Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Scratched Glass

Old 12-18-2007, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched Glass

Has anyone else had a problem with the glass in their doors scratching?
Mine are trashed. I have never had this problem on any vehicle I have ever owned...
Old 12-18-2007, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Default Crappy Glass...

My side windows are all scratched up....None of my other vehicle have this problem. Is this kinda like the plastic problem? Anyone else have these problems?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, happened to me too on my last drive through the diamond mine.

If you have a soft top and its in the rear windows then its a "jeep thing".
Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 PM
JK Super Freak

We've got over 6,000 miles on our Rubi. So far the glass is just fine except for a couple of dings in the windshield. On another vehicle the glass was cleaned with a previously used cloth that scratched the glass. The problem was caused by dirt embedded in the the cloth. Rubbing it on the glass was like using sandpaper. I use clean rags or paper towels now, especially on the rear view mirrors. That glass seems to be considerably softer and subject to scratching.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

You mean like when your side window is covered in dirt and then you roll it down it leaves scratches? I know I have seen this on several vehicles, mostly used though. I remind passengers not to roll the window down when it's dirty, I know the glass all around is terribly thin.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
You mean like when your side window is covered in dirt and then you roll it down it leaves scratches? I know I have seen this on several vehicles, mostly used though. I remind passengers not to roll the window down when it's dirty, I know the glass all around is terribly thin.
That is exactly it! I have even cleaned them first and the dirt embedded in the edges still scratches it on the one pass you have to do in order to put them down to clean it. I have a 71 FJ40 and no scratches in the glass. It seems the JK glass scratches real easy.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

My parents had a '97 GMC 3500, and I had a '97 ZJ. Both had power windows and both had the drives side windows with all these vertical scratches. No doubt due to the sand dumped onto the road 6 months of the year. No signs of this on the JK yet.

My '88 4Runner that I had a couple years ago didn't have that problem if I remember correctly. I wonder if it's more likely to happen with power windows than roll-ups?

Quick Reply: Scratched Glass