Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Scratches, Does waxing the paint help prevent?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches, Does waxing the paint help prevent?

Going back down to Moab on Memorial weekend and will be doing some trails that might scrap the sides of the Jeep. So far I am scratch free and want to keep it that way. And yes I know that the first is by far the hardest, I have had six other Jeep but none new.

I have heard that waxing the paint will help minimize the light scratching that you get when brush rub as you go by. Not a stick that sticks out like getting keyed.

So is it true that wax will help? If so what brand of wax would you recommend?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once that scratch is through the clear coat & paint you are boned....pick up touch up paint for those scratches or rock chips. However, if the scratch is in the clear....just get it cut polished out this will however, make your clearcoat thinner in that area or Just use liquid or paste wax and some elbow grease will remove most of the minor scratches.

I like Zaino & Meguiares products.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We just dove right in with the scratches. Took the JK out after only having it a 3 weeks on a narrow trail with brush and through water and mud. We have scratches all down the side of our JK and top. The scratches on the paint are pretty hard to see. The hard top though...well, we will have our "stripes" forever now.

I'm a die-hard Zaino user. They have this stuff called Fusion for scratches that is amazing. I use it on everything (even furniture sometimes). I need to order some more, and then plan to get those scratches out of the paint. Based on my experience, I'm not anticipating any issues. But then again our JK is yellow. If you have black or another dark color it definately be more difficult.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I have no scratches now so I think I will wax it good and hope that they will buff out. The chance of scratching will not stop me from running the trail, if it did, I should sell the Jeep and get a Hummer .

Quick Reply: Scratches, Does waxing the paint help prevent?