Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Securing fire extinguisher

Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing fire extinguisher

It's great being able to have the top off for months at a time. But everything has to be secured. I want to mount the fire extinguishers on the roll bar but concerned someone will steal it. Around here, it would get stolen simply because it's there.

I was thinking of using a cable around the neck and a small 3 digit combo lock. That would still keep access fairly quick. That's what I use for the tube doors. Not foolproof but reduces the opportunists. Anyone have another way they've secured it? Anyone had one stolen?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't recommend locking a fire extinguisher up. The small ones carried in the vehicle are meant mostly for personal protection, i.e. knocking down flames to get out of the vehicle or if you catch it in time, put out the fire. You may think you can open the lock quickly but if there's smoke and flames, panic mode will set in and you will probably fumble with the lock and it'll be too late. Just my opinion though!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not worried about panic mode. I've been in law enforcement for over 20. If it got stolen, it wouldn't be there to use at all. So a few extra seconds or not at all? Perhaps my logic is flawed. Plus, if its on the roll bar, it's certainly not gonna be quick anyway when doors & top are on. I just hate the idea of some kid walking off with it just because they can.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got mine attached to the passenger side rear rollbar by a bungie cord and a ziptie THRU the safety pin hole (I removed the pin, ziptie takes place of it) and then thru the hole for the soft top bolt. Easy access, just pull down on it and the soft top hardware attached to the roll bar just cuts the zip tie and it comes right out of pin hole all in one motion. Haven't had to use it under pressure but I did fire drills for myself so I'm ready

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have mine on the rear door attached with some Quick Fist clamps.

This puts it a little more out of sight but still accessible
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00006-20101221-1627.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	527010  
Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

mine sits right between the driver door and seat
Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Jersey, can ya post a photo? Or email it to me (diver_matt@yahpo.com).

Rainey, looks good but I have a custom made storage box that actually touches tailgate. I can put it back there if all else fails.

Quick Reply: Securing fire extinguisher