Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Has anyone ever broken in to your Wrangler / JK?
Yes, someone broke into my JK.
5.59%
Yes, someone broke into my Jeep, but it wasn't a JK.
11.19%
No, I've never had someone break in, but they vandalized my JK.
5.59%
Thank God, No, I've never had anyone mess with my JK.
77.62%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Security Thoughts and Poll

Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by degenerate
absence does not make the heart grow fonder. if you'll miss it, don't leave it in the jeep.
True that
Old 10-16-2007, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angbri
I just dont get some people. I'd like to believe most of us here work their $@% off to get the things they want. Why do some poeple seem to think they can just take (or vandelize) something that isnt theirs! (am I spelling that right...theirs..thiers..th..whatever it just looks funny.) It just really ticks me off that we should even have to worry about security systems.

Although I kinda understand where you're coming from... the fact is when you have various degrees of living standards people will inevitibly scramble (the best way they know how) to make a buck. From lawyers to car theives. Just going to happen.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 PM
JK Freak

Default ravleco

Since no one else is talking about it.. I will share what I know ...
[url]www.ravelco.com/

I havent tried it myself but I think its about 400 bucks or so. They will setup a installation and it has something to do with different combinations on the pins and majick. Ok not majick. Anyways everyone raves about it and I havent found a single review that is negative. Sounds too good sometimes. I wanna find at least one. Improper installation or something. Its been around forever and not one complaint?!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Scott99999
I'm wondering if anyone can let me know what additional (aftermarket) security suggestions they have. I'm also wondering how many people have had their vehicles broken in to -- especially with respect to JKs with a soft top.
the best aftermarket security is to take stuff that you dont want stolen out of the jeep.

the only thing i have ever had stolen out of my jeep was the radio. i had an aftermarket head unit and forgot to take the facplate off one night.

if you go soft top, you are better off leaving it unlocked than locking it and getting the windows cut.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a big fan of clifford alarms myself. I also lock the doors..because I think it deters most casual theives..and they are who i'm worried about. Unless you empty your jeep, which I wont, you might as well lock it. If they slash my windows it'll be the least of my problems..I'll be worried more about my gun and ipod.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Fortunately, I have not had an incident with my JK. The Freedom top and full doors probably help. But even this summer with the top off, I had no problems! Just lucky I guess!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

I guess my hesitancy on an alarm is just not wanting to wake everyone up for false alarms twice a month. They don't seem very effective.

I'm sure we'll keep everything valuable out of the JK, though I'd like to get the Ravelco in sooner, rather than later. And I'm sure we'll do a center console or similar lock box.

Thanks to everyone -- I'm amazed that this thread has gotten so many responses, and it seems like useful info.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. There's been about 3 kittens killed in this thread. I immediatley got the tuffy console and cubby cover. I haven't gotten around to installing the DEI system I bought over a month ago.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I only run a hard top 100 % of the time.
I added a viper alarm system with motion sensors and so on.
The only option I stayed away from was remote start as that seems retarded to me. I mean if u can remotely start it without the "keyed" key then so can a thief with a sniffing rig.
I did get the remote noification option tho.
system adds a lil blinking blue l.e.d. which tells any knowledable thief you have a viper installed.
Vandalism will not be prevented by anything other than parking inside behind crack house armor.

Do get a better alarm system that wont disable the factory keys is my recomendation. Especially if you pay cash for the Jeep as the insurance won't probably replace all the mods you've done unless you take pics and proove they do replacement with receipts etc. ( insurance sucks almost as much as republican lawyers....... lol now don't be get'n upset ALL lawyers suck eh?)
Old 12-28-2007, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my TJ stolen from me 5 yrs ago....While today my JK is intact, my spare is in some thief's hands. It was stolen last night. Should have invested in some wheel locks months ago.

-Al

Quick Reply: Security Thoughts and Poll