Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: How "hardcore" of a Wrangler owner will you be in the next 3 years?
Diamond: Rocks shake and tremble at my trail-only rig's mighty approach.
0.85%
Iron: My JK will be modded to handle moderate-to-hard terrain - I'll suffer on-road for it.
20.43%
Hardwood: My JK will see reasonable mods and offroad use, but will remain my daily driver
67.23%
Softwood: My JK will remain near-stock and see some occasional light offroad use
11.49%
Marshmallow: My JK will stay stock, and won't ever see where the pavement ends.
0%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

(Self-proclaimed) Hardcore Rating

Old 03-13-2007, 02:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Touchy subject: Are you Hardcore, Softcore, a Poser, or somewhere in-between?

So - this is a bit of a touchy subject for a lot of folks, and people seem to get pretty defensive... but what kind of Jeeper are you? I've read varying estimates that claimed as few as 50% of Wrangler owners will ever leave the pavement, while others claim that a mighty 80% will take theirs offroading. I'm just curious what percentage of Jeepers on this forum will ever offroad their Wranglers, versus how many will be content just cruising topless to the mall, beach, etc.

Disclaimer: The Wrangler is an American icon, and America is all about freedom - there's no law saying you have to lift your Jeep sky-high and go drive over the nearest boulder. We all have the freedom to use our Wrangler as we want to, and the only rule is: have fun with it (and wave to your fellow Jeepers!). Personally, I enjoy moderate offroading, but that's just me - I am NOT so hardcore that I needed to buy a Rubicon.

So when I'm asking if you're hardcore or a poser, it's all in good fun. Please don't turn this into a "Jeep purist" us-against-them battle or anything like that. And before you get all defensive, Mr. & Mrs. Mallrunner, I'm not insinuating that you're really posers if you don't ever offroad your Jeep - granted, it'll cry itself to sleep at night, but that's no reflection on you as a person.

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-14-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

hardwood.not a lot of dirt left in South Florida but when i find it i go.that being said i have no need for a lift,dirt tires or any hard core stuff.so my jeep is like a swiss army knife or a jack of all trades to me.dirt,mall,work you name it and my jeep dose it all well and with more fun then anything else i can think of.

Last edited by tolh13; 03-13-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak for everyone else but here is a sample of my intentions for my JK
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would make for a good poll!

Personally, I probably fit closest with the softcore description. I ordered a Rubi and may end up using its capabilities, not because I go on the hardest trails, but because I'm not that experienced of an off-roader. I generally am the type that likes to use my vehicle to get somewhere (more remote hiking spot for instance) rather than to just run trails all day - but I'll certainly have a good time while getting there!

There is something about driving a Wrangler. They are so fun to drive and confidence inspiring that it seems you're drawn to every curb, mud puddle, or dirt road that you happen to see while driving. Thus, I would be surprised if there are any Wranglers out there that see zero "off-roading", loosely defined.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

I'm probably pretty softcore. I have plans to run around in the sand at the beach, but that seems pretty light. I tackled a forest service road two days ago, which was easy as pie. This is my first Jeep so I think the more I get comfortable with it, the more I'll be willing to try more challenging offroad adventures.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your missing an important one, people who mod their Jeeps but don't necessarily take them offroad. That accounts for a lot of people. My JK is lifted and has other mods but it won't see much offroad other than the beach because thats where I live and im surrounded by ocean and flat land.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Hardwood for me please. I would like to see more wheelin', but flat west Texas dosen't allow for it where I am. Later this year there is supposed to be an OHV park opening only a couple hours away and I plan on being there often.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I merged the two identical threads.... and voted hardwood.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by doojer
I merged the two identical threads.... and voted hardwood.
Thanks doojer - I was about to ask for help, and then saw what you had done.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll say the hardwood i'm doing some moods but I dont have much chance to take it off road.

Quick Reply: (Self-proclaimed) Hardcore Rating