Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sell me on a rubicon

Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by anadlas
... what I was mainly trying to figure out is that if I want to get more into serious rock crawling will a rubicon suffice? ...
Just enough to keep up with your friend in an FJ on 35s serious? Or this kind of serious?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xark5lnP7sw
Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

That was what I was asking.
It really comes down to what size tires you are going to run and if you want to do some serous rock crawling you will want at least 37's and some strong axles.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy fawk!?!!?

This thread brings the funny!

At first I was annoyed and was going to comment.... but as I read, it kept getting better and better.

I think I'll leave it to DIRTMAN to make all the offensive statements.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Just enough to keep up with your friend in an FJ on 35s serious? Or this kind of serious?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xark5lnP7sw
not really sure what you're asking here about my comment but if you're asking if i want a rubi so that i can keep up with my buddies FJ then no that is not the case. I was using it as a reference to the fact that my bone stock Sahara can run it's paces against my friends lifted FJ. The only thing that he has me on is the fact that he has more ground clearance which can get him over a few more obsticles. I'm building a jeep because i want to be able to take it through the arctic circle, moab, etc. I think off road wheeling is a blast.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
That was what I was asking.
It really comes down to what size tires you are going to run and if you want to do some serous rock crawling you will want at least 37's and some strong axles.
So if 37s are what i need eventually then keeping my Sahara would be the way to go because the cost effectiveness of what i was wanting to run was banking on not needing to do a gear or axle swap on a rubi. I mean i realize you can run 37s on 4.10 with an auto but i don't want to have a really sluggish ride off the trails too.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... I'm building a jeep because i want to be able to take it through the arctic circle, moab, etc. I think off road wheeling is a blast.
Just trying to get a measure on how extreme you want to go. I've been all over Moab. Much of it on 33s. Area BFE in that video is Moab. It is very extreme Moab. I'd never take my Jeep through the really extreme stuff there. But, if that video is what you want to do, mod your Sahara. Set aside a big budget for D60 axles, 40 inch tires, an exoskeleton, and lots of armor. Or, would Fins and Things, Poison Spider Mesa, Elephant Hill Trail, etc.--all rated difficult in the Wells Moab guide--satisfy your thirst? Most any Jeep on 33s can do them. A Rubi is very well set up for them, but your Sahara would do just fine with perhaps just a tire change.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

So are you planning to or have found that you might swap anything out from your set up in the future axle wise?
I've been toying with the idea of going to a pro rock 44. Or at a minimum full Artec truss so I can run 37" with more confidence.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by matprovo
I've been toying with the idea of going to a pro rock 44. Or at a minimum full Artec truss so I can run 37" with more confidence.
In a week or so I'll have a Dynatrac 44 pro rock unlimited up front and a Dynatrac pro rock 60 in back

I'll try and get a bunch of pictures of the build...

Also replacing both drive shaft, making my best effort to run 37's

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-26-2013, 12:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by matprovo
I just finished my HD d44 las week. It's the same setup that Brut4ce Offroad runs and it'll easily handle 37s. Heck, I know a guy that's been running 37s for 4-5 years in his JKUR, on 37s and he hasn't so much as gusseted it yet(although he keeps talking about it lol)

Either way, that truss.. Is killer. Can't wait to bolt that thing on next weekend!

Quick Reply: Sell me on a rubicon