Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Shop etiquitte

Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop etiquitte

So I'm getting my JK lifted. I'm getting the lift kit, the tires, and the installation from the same shop (I already bought the wheels from them too. This is the first time I've done something like this and am wondering, do shops stick to the basic msrp or their own prices for large purchases like this, or is there room for flexibility?

I compare everything to my experience with music, and in purchasing music equipment you never settle for the retail price. For instance, if the guitar is listed at $3,500, you would might shoot for $2,700. Does this kinda thing happen with lifts and tires? Is there any sort of customary tip given to the mechanics?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I buy all my tires locally, from someone whose been in business over forty years. I know him well. Have worked for him before. He lets me see what he PAYS for tires, then his markup. He'll do it for any of his customers. I am planning on getting some 265s for my Jeep in the near future, and he quoted me only 40 bucks a tire over his price. That's the INSTALLED price. I've always felt it safe doing business with someone that honest. As far as labor rates go, unfortunately, a lot of shops shoot from the hip. Not saying the one you're using does, but a lot do.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will tell you the profit margin on Aftermarket Jeep parts is not very high at all.

I would never pay over the MFG's price but right at.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

I will tell you the profit margin on Aftermarket Jeep parts is not very high at all.

I would never pay over the MFG's price but right at.
I would have to agree with you there. I had a local 4x4 shop install my lift that I bought from them. I looked online at the MFG prices before I shopped around locally. The shop I got my lift from charged only about $10 more than if I got it straight from the MFG. Where they made there money no doubt, was the labor, but they are a HIGHLY recommended shop here and their customer service is outstanding, so I didn't really mind too much.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

I feel that there is always room for a deal. I make it a point to negotiate everything I buy and you would be surprised by the positive response I get most of the time. Just ask: "Can you do better?"... If the margin is very tight, the salesperson will usually let you know and let you know why. But in most instances, you should get a deal.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Sort of asking a girl out, the worst thing that can happen is... "She said no".
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by somewhereinla
Actually the worst thing is she could say yes, take you for a ride, make you spend all your money, eat all your food, use all your project money, use the offroad gas monies and camping fees then leave you for a Toyota guy.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

I feel that there is always room for a deal. I make it a point to negotiate everything I buy and you would be surprised by the positive response I get most of the time. Just ask: "Can you do better?"... If the margin is very tight, the salesperson will usually let you know and let you know why. But in most instances, you should get a deal.

X10000000000 Same here...about the only place I DONT try to cut a deal is at the grocery store, fast food joints and resturants. But from clothing shops, car parts stores, online vendors....I *TRY* usually to negotiate a better price....

You will never know unless you ask...but be real in the expectations..Dont know what your shop rate is lookin' like but seriously-- around here it waries from a low of about $40/hr to the stealerships at closer to $95/hr.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't asked a girl out in 40 years but I would think a laugh and a hangup would be much WORSE, or if in person a laugh and a turnaround.... A tip to the mechanic is always in order, you can inquire who will be or who has worked on your vehicle. Don't expect the office dude to pass it on, give it to the mechanic directly if you are pleased...
Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CIJeep
Actually the worst thing is she could say yes, take you for a ride, make you spend all your money, eat all your food, use all your project money, use the offroad gas monies and camping fees then leave you for a Toyota guy.
Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.

you've really thought this one out! you're kinda right though!
I don't know. That sounded rather like the voice of experience!

Quick Reply: Shop etiquitte