Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Silent alarm

Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silent alarm

I got tired of the neighborhood teens digging through my glove box at night while I'm sleeping. I'm not dumb enough to leave anything valuable in my Jeep when it's parked on the street with the top down, but they're not smart enough to know that, so they climb in and dig through my stuff anyway. Happens a few times a month, often enough to annoy me. So I got one of these:

www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1290

It's a wireless motion detector that sends a signal to a receiver in my house when it detects motion. I mounted the sensor inside the Jeep near the floor, so there are no false alarms (the sensor can't see out the windows or the top from where it's mounted, so if it detects motion, the motion is definitely inside the Jeep). So when somebody climbs in, the receiver in my house wakes me up, but the kid in my Jeep has no idea that he's triggered my alarm.

So last night the alarm went off. I quietly went out the back door with my camera, sneaked up beside the Jeep and aimed the camera, then said "finding anything interesting?" Just as he looked up, I snapped a picture of his very surprised face. He ran like hell, but I know who he is and where he lives. I'll be stopping by his house after work today to show the picture to his parents. They'll be so proud. Maybe they'll frame it and hang it on their wall....

Next time I'll skip the camera and bring my baseball bat.

Last edited by Rubimon; 06-16-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE IT.

I'd get one of those motion activated wildlife camers for mine if it had to be parked out like that.

EDIT: Please let us know how his parents react to their little angel being caught red handed.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is hilarious... you should audiotape the conversation with the parents and post it for us to listen to!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

You need to post up that picture....I'd love to see the startled look on his face! LOL
Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

oh that is too funny. Good job resisting the bat. I know from personal experience that it can be hard.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by undertow119
I got tired of the neighborhood teens digging through my glove box at night while I'm sleeping. I'm not dumb enough to leave anything valuable in my Jeep when it's parked on the street with the top down, but they're not smart enough to know that, so they climb in and dig through my stuff anyway. Happens a few times a month, often enough to annoy me. So I got one of these:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezS...productID=1290

It's a wireless motion detector that sends a signal to a receiver in my house when it detects motion. I mounted the sensor inside the Jeep near the floor, so there are no false alarms (the sensor can't see out the windows or the top from where it's mounted, so if it detects motion, the motion is definitely inside the Jeep). So when somebody climbs in, the receiver in my house wakes me up, but the kid in my Jeep has no idea that he's triggered my alarm.

So last night the alarm went off. I quietly went out the back door with my camera, sneaked up beside the Jeep and aimed the camera, then said "finding anything interesting?" Just as he looked up, I snapped a picture of his very surprised face. He ran like hell, but I know who he is and where he lives. I'll be stopping by his house after work today to show the picture to his parents. They'll be so proud. Maybe they'll frame it and hang it on their wall....

Next time I'll skip the camera and bring my baseball bat.
That cracks me up, Im definately getting one..........I dont trust the people in my apt complex
Old 06-28-2007, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats frickin awesome!!! You have to keep us posted on what the parents say.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think I would be able to resist skipping the camera and going straight for the bat.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was great!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

OMFG!!! PRICELESS!!!

I bow down to your greatness...

You have to post the picture!! PLEASE!!!

Next time try and M-80 Firecracker or an Air Horn... that way you could follow the shit trail to his house!

Quick Reply: Silent alarm