Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

So dumb I could kick my own ass...

Old 03-14-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So dumb I could kick my own ass...

Ok so the weather's been crazy here this past week. 80 degrees a few days ago and now 40 with rain! Anyway, with it a little cooler I put the top up but left the back windows off. I knew we were in for some rain today so last night I put the windows back in but all I did was zip em and secure the bottom. I didn't bother with the part that secures in by the door. So, this morning I'm going down the highway with the rain pouring down. I hear a sound, look in the rearview and see one of my windows flapping in the wind. I'm 4 lanes over so I keep moving over hoping to get over before it comes off alltogether. When I get out, I notice that it's hanging on by a few zipper teeth. I think it's a quick fix so I start messing with it on the side of the highway. My fingers get wet cold and eventually numb and realize I couldn't get it. The zipper teeth are now misaligned and I can't fix it.

Anyone have any tips on how to fix this problem with the zipper?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda tough to visualize. Are the teeth mis-aligned like on a jacket or whatever and you've got to FORCE the pull thing to get it opened? I guess I'd say to get to someplace warm, evaluate the situation and, if necessary, break out the pliers to move that sumbitch. That's a pretty lame suggestion but without knowing more (like a pic) I can't come up with anything better.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few weeks ago when we had a warm day I tried to remove the rear window and ended up with (I'm assuming) the same situation. The teeth would not line up evenly at the end of the zipper so I couldn't remove the window. I ended up screwing around with it for almost 2 hours before I finally muscled it enough to get it back to normal. I would love to say it was some sort of technique I used used, but it was pretty much pure luck and brute force. Just do your best to line up the teeth and then jerk the zipper 1-2" at a time until you get it around to where you can remove the window. It really helps to have another warm body to hold the window while you screw around with the zipper. Otherwise you'll be fighting the window and the zipper.

From now on I'll be taking extra care not to get the zippers misaligned. Best of luck........and just remember, step back, count to 10, then try again
Old 03-15-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the support. I'm not really a "step back, count to 10" type of guy but in this situation I was forced to be. I got back home and "brainstormed" for a bit and then sprayed some cooking spray on it. I let it set for awhile and then came out to tackle it again. To explain it further, picture buttoning up a shirt and not lining up the buttons with the correct holes. That's how the zipper was and it was way down at the other end. So, fearing the worst, I tried to work a little at a time until it finally slipped past the point it was previously getting stuck. After a few minutes I got it all the way back to the left hands side. My hands were freezing and cold but a small price to pay to achieve victory over this effin thing!

So the tip here is, if you get a zipper stuck, be it your Wrangler Jeans or Wrangler Jeep soft top...spray some Pam cooking spray on it!

Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

I know you were at the wrong place and wrong time, but if you can get home and into your garage or carport or somewhere where there's no standing water use a........hairdryer. I split me rear window a couple months ago and I got my new windows in while it was still hovering around a sweltering 32F. I took the old lady's hairdryer and section by section inch by inch strected the top and it really helps. If you read bestops manual it say's to install any of there tops when above 68F. Hope this helps in the future I understand you can't do it on the side of the interstate just food for thought later.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teedo10
Thanks for the support. I'm not really a "step back, count to 10" type of guy but in this situation I was forced to be.
I'm not that guy either , but I figured it was a better option than destroying the top on my 1 month old Jeep. Glad you got it worked out.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Welp, another week or two and I won't need to worry about the windows again until November! Come on...warm weather!

Quick Reply: So dumb I could kick my own ass...