Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft Top Instillation

Old 05-23-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Instillation

I have a 2010 4-door sahara duel top and I have the hard top on right now. I received a bunch of plastic pieces to be installed when I put up the soft top and i was just wondering how much of a pain in the ass it is to install these pieces myself or should I just bring it to my local Jeep dealer and have them do it all for me. The whole soft top itself is all in the back and everything but the pieces themselves still need to be installed I guess...any ideas?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

youtube the installation to help you out...but please do yourself a favour and do it yourself, that way you will know how to do it and when the weather works for you, you'll know how to put the top down.
I can have the top completely removed by myself in 15 min. and up in same amount without any assistance now (practice)
The plastic you're referring to is probably the door surrounds required for the sof top.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

step 1 pour water in the brita filter?

im sure your local dealership if you talk nice might give you some pointers... mines pretty friendly. if not find a forum member with a soft top or go to the dealership and "airforce" preflight the one with the soft top to see how it is done...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a hard top so I didn't have to put mine on, but I have taken my surrounds off and it's not hard at all. You should be able to do it yourself pretty easily. Then it'll be easier each time!!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

Thumbs up Dvd

Originally Posted by Ksolomon91
I have a 2010 4-door sahara duel top and I have the hard top on right now. I received a bunch of plastic pieces to be installed when I put up the soft top and i was just wondering how much of a pain in the ass it is to install these pieces myself or should I just bring it to my local Jeep dealer and have them do it all for me. The whole soft top itself is all in the back and everything but the pieces themselves still need to be installed I guess...any ideas?
Have you watched the demonstration videos on the DVD?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default first time soft to install

All the jeep videos available only describe taking the soft top up or down. After a year with my 2009 Sahara Unlimited, I decided to take off my hard top and install the soft top last weekend. Since the half page Jeep instruction page or the 500 page manual didn't help me a first time install, I was on my own. All together, it took me a frustrating 3 hours. First issue is somehow in my oil change visits to my dealer, my #40 torx screwdriver "vanished". Second issue was I embarrassingly first had the top on backwards. Third issue, I could not figure out how it clipped on the sides until I found the box with the door surrounds. Things went fairly quick after that.

All in all, it is best to do it yourself so you learn your roof inside and out. Putting the roof up or down is simple now.

I still have two minor issues, first I dont like the slightly loose gap on the rear window to the swing door. Secondly I seem to be left with two small cylindrical black clip like things. Any idea what they are for?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backpackster
All the jeep videos available only describe taking the soft top up or down. After a year with my 2009 Sahara Unlimited, I decided to take off my hard top and install the soft top last weekend. Since the half page Jeep instruction page or the 500 page manual didn't help me a first time install, I was on my own. All together, it took me a frustrating 3 hours. First issue is somehow in my oil change visits to my dealer, my #40 torx screwdriver "vanished". Second issue was I embarrassingly first had the top on backwards. Third issue, I could not figure out how it clipped on the sides until I found the box with the door surrounds. Things went fairly quick after that.

All in all, it is best to do it yourself so you learn your roof inside and out. Putting the roof up or down is simple now.

I still have two minor issues, first I dont like the slightly loose gap on the rear window to the swing door. Secondly I seem to be left with two small cylindrical black clip like things. Any idea what they are for?
Pain in the ass the first time, but easy the 2nd

Edit - 1 & 2 are related.

The parts are the clips for either side of the tailgate. It holds the rear window bar to seal against the tailgate.

There will be letters marking them L and R, slide or clip them on, then roll the window bar in from the top/rear into the clips. Voila!

Last edited by Coley; 05-27-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

its cake. seriously.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

yeah once i took out the surrounds and looked at it i got it in no time
Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by backpackster

Make sure you are using the clips that attach to the frame. With those you will not have a gap. I bought my 07 JK used and the dealership was kind enough to replace them when I came back a month later after a heavy snowfall.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Instillation