Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

soft top question

Old 04-30-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top question

im fairly new to jeeps, this being my first one. i have a question about the soft top....i see pictures of jeeps on here with the tops folded down so nice and neat....how come mine never works out like that? i followed the directions in the manual and it still looks like a mess. can anyone help me? thanks!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
im fairly new to jeeps, this being my first one. i have a question about the soft top....i see pictures of jeeps on here with the tops folded down so nice and neat....how come mine never works out like that? i followed the directions in the manual and it still looks like a mess. can anyone help me? thanks!
Takes some patience and really watching what you are doing in every step to ensure it'll lay as even and flat as possible. I can get mine to look decent, I've had some gnarly ones for sure!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just put mine down this morning and its a mess too. A friend just got a 2010 and the new tops are so much better. You can open only the front half if you want and its a way easier fold down. Fukkers changed it right after I bought mine
Old 04-30-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing to remember is to think "accordian" when folding.

Theres a part when folding it in the back when youre almost done that one part of the soft top wants to fold outwards towards the spare tire...but in reality, if you were following the back-forth-back-forth of the folding, it should be folded BACK into the Jeep towards the backseat.

Hard to explain but just make sure that they alternate. I'll catch a fold not going the right way and it just sort of hangs out and bunches up making it look ugleh. Once you fix it, it lays pretty flat.

Also to help make your Folded stoft top look nice and neat, I would invest in one of these:

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/clo-10-st-9702.html

I asked my parents for one for Christmas. Not only does it protect your windows, it attaches VERY securely ontop of the accordianed (if thats a word) soft top and just makes the overall finished job real nice.

Should you be out on the road or the trail and you decide to put your top back up, you got your windows right there all nice and neatly rolled up. Totally worth the money imo. I think it looks real pro when attached to the back of my Jeep.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hopefully this Jeep Soft Top Guide will help:

Jeep Soft Top Guide (Link)

Choose: WRANGLER or WRANGLER UNLIMITED, and watch all of the videos. Pretty informative!

NOTE: Their Folding Job isn't the greatest, but it gives you a basic idea. You want to tuck as much material as you can, down towards the cargo floor board, to allow you to fold it nice and neat. I can actually get mine down flat, and having it look good. Make sure to use your Velcro Straps to tie down the Bows on the Sides!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

Last edited by Blackbeard; 04-30-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Penbox18
I just put mine down this morning and its a mess too. A friend just got a 2010 and the new tops are so much better. You can open only the front half if you want and its a way easier fold down.
The Sunrider soft top has been available since 2007. All of them can open on "only the front half".

The biggest FAIL I see when people lower the top incorrectly is not making the initial fold closest to the header correctly which doesn't allow the soft top frame to sit properly. They sit up at an angle along the rollbar.

Quick Reply: soft top question