Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top question

Old 03-01-2008, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top question

Hey all,

Having bought my JK used in May of '07, it did not come with a soft top. So I'm about to pull the trigger on one, and I just have a few questions (I know very little about them).

1) Does the Bestop Sailcloth Replace-a-top™ come with all of the hardware needed to mount onto my JK - that has no hardware from a previous soft top? or is the price only that low because it only replaces the actual soft top and not the hardware?

2) If it is an entirely new kit, does anyone have experience with the bestop softop vs. the mopar? Is it worth paying 600-700 more for the mopar soft top? (i.e. noise, durability, etc.) Or is it basically the same thing?

... and I'm very familiar with the search function (i use it often), I just couldn't find anything about the replace-a-top soft tops.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2007 2dr Sahara that I bought new and only had the hard top. As I understand the Bestop unit you have to order the hardware, there is a soft top adviser that can guide you through the process. I was just over to my Jeep dealer yesterday and was quoted $1,250.00 for the complete top and frame work. I am not sure why the Bestop is so much more expensive. I think I may give them a call tomorrow and just ask the question, on what the difference is in there top verses the one from Jeep.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

hmmm.. interesting how the MOPAR® Sunrider® Soft Top on Quadratec is almost $1900. I was quoted around $1350 at the dealership.

Hmm... that advisor just sent me to the $1900 top. Maybe I should just go for the dealer, or buy someone's.

Last edited by KentuckyMud; 03-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Bestop Replace-a-Top is just that. It's a replacement top that you fit onto the hardware you have from your soft top that you're replacing.

You can still probably order the hardware and top aftermarket for cheaper than you'd get from the dealership. But ask and see, who knows what kind of deals you can get. I'd go with Bestop though (I believe Mopar is Bestop). I'd stay away from some of the other top makers.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Watch the for sale section. I picked mine up there.

Quick Reply: Soft top question