Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top Sun Bonnet on a Hardtop JK

Old 03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Soft top Sun Bonnet on a Hardtop JK

I am trying to figure out a summer time top solution to deal with the occasional rain or dreary day and yet have the Hard top removed. I have a Hard top only and from reading, if I want a good rain solution and the Mopar Sun Bonnet (AKA Safari Top), I would need to get the Soft Top version AND the door surrounds (which only come with the soft top). That starts to add up to allot of coin all at once.

I was wondering how a soft top Sun Bonnet would work with no door surrounds installed (on a Hard top JK)...at least until I eventually get them?

I have a pretty good understanding of the Duster + (Wraparound) Windjammer issues.

Trying to get past the Sun Bonnet at this time.

It would be nice to leave the hard top off all summer.

jjw
ND
Old 03-16-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the mopar bonnet for the hard top, run it 7-8 months outta the year. If you don't have door frames for the softop then it leaves a gap between the door and sportbar. I ran it like that , then I tryed it strapped over the softop frame door surrounds. It leaks none in any of my doors, it's more waterproof like that than my leaky softop.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Without the door frames there won't be anywhere for the softtop version of the Sunbonnet to attach above the doors. It will be flapping in the breeze. If you're saying you'd like to do some city streets driving with it like that until you can afford the door surrounds, I think you'll be okay. But, if you plan to take it out on the highway, I'd be concerned with possible damage from all of that material flapping around. There is a bracket that you mount into the roll bar that will give some stability, but that might be a point that gets damaged as well. Might not happen--I have no experience with that configuration--but I have owned both versions of the Sunbonnet and you definitely want the softtop version and door frames for the best performance.

You can see in this pic the major difference between the two versions: The large panels are Velcroed around the roll bar in this hardtop version (disappearing off lower right corner of photo) ...

BTW: With the price you can get a new/nearly new softtop with door frames for on this forum (going rate around $500), you might be better to buy someone's softtop just to get the frames. If you don't want the softtop, you can probably part it out to recoup some of your expense (soon folks will be looking for replacement fabric as theirs wear out).

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-17-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks....

MKJeep...sounds like one can make a Hard Top version work just as well with the door sorrounds and in the meantime have it work (not flap) without the door surround. Good to know.

Mark....thank for your advice again. I have been watching for used soft tops. I still might go that route.

jjw
ND

Quick Reply: Soft top Sun Bonnet on a Hardtop JK