Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft top vs hard top.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get both, I love my fast back soft top for the summer months. But hard top is more practical for the real world.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both is absolutely best of both worlds. Anyone who lives through snow and says a soft top is just as good is delusional. You also can't beat the soft top in the summer, removing freedom panels isn't the same. If funds allow, go both you won't regret it. If not, pick whichever you'll get better use out of.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

If you live where it snows, get both (if you can budget that). I always ran my hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer. I moved to florida from mo recently and bought a new jkuhr and made the dealer swap the hard top for the soft top as we don't really have winter =).....hard top sucks a fat one in the warm weather. The freedom panels are difficult to mess with in a sudden rain, they get caught in the wind, take up a lot of space when you have them off and in the back, etc. The only benefit is that the jeep is more secure with a hard top and it is easier to put shit in the back because the window is easier to open.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the funds and the extra garage space- get BOTH.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep came with both tops. I love having both. Summer for the soft top and winter for the hard top. I live in Pennsylvania. So having both is a must I think. That's me though. Where you live I think would have a bearing on what type you buy.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had both... If you can only get one, and you have a garage, I'd stick with the hard top. I've got a home made lift in my garage and can have the hard top off and hanging safely from the ceiling in less than 15 minutes. Hopefully someday I'll be able to score a soft top, too...
Old 11-30-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is for a JK get the soft top. I have a JKU and for the first time ever I got a hard top just for PA winters. Have the soft top too. I have had many Jeeps for many years an have spent those years between FL and PA in all seasons. In say soft top because if you are traveling or just out around town, you can have the top down and with you. If the weather changes you put it up and continue. If you have a hard top and try this you're plans have to change. Of course this all depends on how much you like to drive with that completely open air feeling.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the "both" camp. The soft top is on from April to November; the hard top is on for the other four months. Here is my 2 cents on a breakdown:

Hard top pros:
- more secure from theft/vandalism than soft top
- harder surface provides more protection from debris than soft top
- able to emulate soft top's Sunrider position with Freedom Panels removed
- quieter ride than soft top
- rear wiper and defroster
- glass windows last longer and don't easily scratch

Hard top cons:
- much heavier than soft top
- difficult to remove without help from a friend, hoist, or DIY solution
- stored hard top takes up a large footprint
- Freedom Panels take up a lot of storage room in the cab when removed
- cumbersome removal process can result in lots of dings, dents, and scratches
- unlike soft top, side and rear windows cannot be removed (per intended design)

Soft top pros:
- Offers a variety of configurations (closed, Sunrider, windows out, completely down, etc.)
- still able to handle a moderate level of rain and snow
- still keeps cab warm, even on very cold days
- associated costs are much lower than hard top in the short term. In the long term, soft top replacement parts are also relatively inexpensive
- soft windows can be rolled up and stored under a seat or similar unused space in the cab

Soft top cons:
- fabric generally will need replaced at some point.
- soft windows scratch easily
- rear window/tailgate bar limits some access to rear storage area
- heavy snow and ice can damage the fabric
- a driver has to be extra cautious of branches and other protruding objects that could puncture or rip the fabric

I can't comment on aftermarket-style soft tops, as I've never owned one.

My suggestion would be to pick up a hard top first, then get a used soft top as funds become available. This idea has served me very well with my last two JKs.

Last edited by warpeg; 12-02-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Soft top vs hard top.