Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Soft Tops in Winter

Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also from PA, The wifes JKU is a soft top and we've had it for 7 years. No problems yet.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback. I originally planned to buy a jeep with a hard top since I was buying at the start of winter. But the more my wife and I talked it just seemed to make sense just to go with a soft top. It does warm up just fine and I had the dealership install an OEM auto starter which I love. I haul kayaks and thought that would be a problem with a soft top but I found the Rugged Ridge Sherpa rack on Quatratec and I think that will do the trick nicely. Thanks again for all the great feedback!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dblcrona
Thanks for all the great feedback. I originally planned to buy a jeep with a hard top since I was buying at the start of winter. But the more my wife and I talked it just seemed to make sense just to go with a soft top. It does warm up just fine and I had the dealership install an OEM auto starter which I love. I haul kayaks and thought that would be a problem with a soft top but I found the Rugged Ridge Sherpa rack on Quatratec and I think that will do the trick nicely. Thanks again for all the great feedback!
Word to wise right off the bat, add some extenstions or something to the zippers, or at least just the rear window
Old 12-18-2013, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
Word to wise right off the bat, add some extenstions or something to the zippers, or at least just the rear window
Great idea. I like that!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Northeast Ohio here. My first JK and first winter with a soft top. Heats up quick. Plus, if someone's tailgating, you just smack the canvas a little bit and some of the snow and ice flies up and off the back.
Love the tailgater deterrent idea! That's awesome.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also had to consider I have no place to store a hard top. I would have to get in the good graces of a relative with a larger than needed garage.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

My first winter as well with my JK here in NoVA. Already had snow and ice and so far so good. I have that auto-start so by the time I get in the car, the cabin is toasty and snow or ice are ready to be easy wiped off! So far, not even missing a hard top.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK4Nat
My first winter as well with my JK here in NoVA. Already had snow and ice and so far so good. I have that auto-start so by the time I get in the car, the cabin is toasty and snow or ice are ready to be easy wiped off! So far, not even missing a hard top.
Looks like you and I have the same Jeep. How long have you had it?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Looks like you and I have the same Jeep. How long have you had it?
Had it since July of this year...but mine is an '08. Might trade up once I hit around 75,000 as I think I'll always have a jeep now!! Enjoy...
Old 12-19-2013, 01:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK4Nat
Had it since July of this year...but mine is an '08. Might trade up once I hit around 75,000 as I think I'll always have a jeep now!! Enjoy...
Mine is a 2013 that I bought used about a month ago with only 13K miles on it. I can already say that after less than a month I'm hooked on Jeeps. I'll probably always on one as well.

Quick Reply: Soft Tops in Winter