Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Softtop recall bow shields

Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Softtop recall bow shields

Took my Jeep in today to the dealer, bought a soft top off of a 2011 local to me on craigslist, even though I bought it last summer, the guy was cool enough to come with me to the dealer to confirm his VIN matched up the recall on the soft top (including the vin on the shipment sticker on the top). The dealer refused to cover the warranty work to get the bow shields put on. I could completely understand them not wanting to cover some other stuff, but this is a manufacturer defect in a product they designed. While I was frustrated I just accepted it, now I just want to laugh, they told me I could call Chrysler and see if Chrysler would be willing to cover the recall..... Here is where I find it being funny....

....I asked how much the kit would be if I just wanted to buy it, all arguments aside with the dealer I would rather buy the kit, then have to replace the entire top on my dime. The funny part. The kit was $1.48 with tax hahahaha. Even at this price, the dealer wasnt stepping up to cover it. My time is worth more to me then call Chrysler and get it covered, or argue with the service/parts manager of $1.48. So I stroll out to the Jeep, sift through my cup holder for $1.48 in change and go buy the part.

On the plus side the dealer did give me the service installation instruction print out to do it myself. Still makes me laugh though, I gave them $20,000 for my Jeep last March (smoking deal on an 08 jku with 32k at the time I think) and they wouldnt cover the $2 and 10 minutes of installation. oh well...

Pics below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kit.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	288681   Click image for larger version

Name:	kit2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	288682   Click image for larger version

Name:	recipt.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	288683   Click image for larger version

Name:	bow1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	288684   Click image for larger version

Name:	bow2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	288685  

Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a 2011 specific recall? I don't think I am familiar with what the recall is.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

was a recall for the newer model year jeeps. 2010+ for Wranglers built before March 3, 2011

here is a good link
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...op+bow+shields
Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you did the work yourself and have a receipt for the parts, you could send in a paper claim with the vin# to Chrysler and ask to be reimbursed. HaHa.
What a cheap-assed dealer. Tell then you will be getting your oil changes somewhere else from now on.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Hahaha yea thats what the dealer told me to do...ummm ya, opportunity cost alone would eat up that $1.50 ha. I do my own oil changes the Jeep just makes it to easy

Quick Reply: Softtop recall bow shields