Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Someone broke into my JK!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that totally sucks, but did you have the monitor and the gps on the mounts, or hidden away? the mounts seem to be in a location that is very obvious and begging to be stolen.

when it comes to electronics in a vehicle, the rule is, "out of sight, out of mind."

the thief probably didn't break in because you had a jeep, he probably broke in because he could clearly see what you had in there. not that i'm excusing the prick, just telling you why you were targeted and how to try to prevent it.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Junkie

Really sorry to hear this. I know there was a thread about building half doors and I beleive it had the part numbers for the lock cylinder. I'll see if I can find it. It should be fairly simple to do, at least on other vehicles I've had and had to mess with the locks, it was eay to do.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 PM
JK Junkie

Here it is, says lock cylinder is $33, so not too bad a price, you'll just need to get it set to match your key, but any locksmith should be able to to that for not too much.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ight=Half+Door
Old 06-10-2008, 11:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to be an ass, but why were you leaving all that $$$ electronic stuff in plain sight in a jeep that isnt secure? Grant it they were to dumb to just go in thru the soft top, but its a jeep with a soft top, not secure unless you have a tuffy box of some sort. Alarm does not make it secure, obviously....Do yourself a favor and dont leave any of that stuff in your jeep again.

Did the police ask the hotel is they have security camera's facing that part of hotel parking lot?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 PM
JK Freak

I have the Garmin 60csx mounted and I always dismount and put it in the console. I'm going to order a TUFFY console insert too for when I have the doors off. Sorry about your GPS loss.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:10 AM
JK Jedi

Sorry to hear. I've been using my ipod a lot in the JK, but I never leave it in, or the cable visible to encourage anyone.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the support guys. To be honest, I generally park in a secure access location so i dont worry about theives to much. Also if my top or doors are off the GPS goes in the glove box. Yesterday with the top and doors up and on i didnt really think about it. My GPS is pretty well hidden by my KC lights unless you come to the side of the vehicle to look for it. I'm a little suprised how easily they got past the cylinder. I'm going to look into replacing the cylinder, perhaps myself ( thanks for the link scouter) and just keep valuables out of sight. It shouldnt be too hard because i already do a good job of that when i'm top down or doors off. I'm also heading down to the hotel now for day 2of the conference... i'll be sure to ask about security cameras and park as close as i can to the door. Thanks again for the support!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Quickest way for kids to make a buck off your misfortune is those GPS systems. Worse thing you could do is use that tell tale suction cup. That's how they know you have a unit in your glove box or console. They just look for the cup still on the windshield or witness mark that it was there.

Now, I know this would not have made much difference in this case but do yourselves a favor and find a better less conspicuos way to mount.

Oh, and how I know this is by overhearing a conversation between a couple of kids months back. Kind of fits because it's been a problem around these parts.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Sucks crusher....I am feeling your pain...as this morning someone stole the side tinted window's, my kids 3 in 1 car seat, kids sunglasses and hats....and damaged my door moldings on the rear doors on my wife's JK.

I am not sure if it's worth the $500 deductible!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just got a quote from my dealer, new cylinder for $40, i'll have to see how much they would charge for labor too. Definately not replacing the gps... waiting for the new Iphone with GPS.... JULY 11... WOOHOO

Quick Reply: Someone broke into my JK!