Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Special order srt8 engine for 2013

Old 11-25-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbry311
So a buddy of mine works for a local jeep dealership and he told me that 2013 wranglers will have an option for the grand Cherokee srt8 motor. It has to be specially ordered, but he said it will be an option. Thought he was BSing, but he's adamant about it. Pretty interesting if it's true.
Are they an AEV Dealer???

Will not be built by Chrysler like that, but there are many aftermaket companies that will..... for a price!
Old 11-25-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BS

Every single model year there's claims like this. Stop listening to rumors and focus on facts.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrettDez
BS

Every single model year there's claims like this. Stop listening to rumors and focus on facts.
I'm listening to a guy that works for Chrysler, and like I said I don't know it to be factual, I'm simply regurgitating what I was told.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goaterguy
There is no such thing as a simple SRT8 engine option. The Wrangler will need upgraded brakes, differentials, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts etc. It will be a $20k option.
The stock Rubicon drivetrain (stock 32" tires, unlifted) actually holds up suprisingly well if you dont get crazy in 4-lo. At least mine has the last couple years. I baby it in the dirt, but not on the street all the time. Last I knew the A580 tranny (same as in the 2012 JK) and Dana 44 was used in the SRT's.

But ya, it would be easy to break stuff wheeling by getting rambunctious, once you shift to 4:1 everything changes. Seems like they would want to beef it up to avoid the warranty headaches.

I doubt they will do it anyway, but you never know.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why Jeep would waste the R&D money and time with a niche like the SRT for a Wrangler when they could develop a direct injection or turbo Pentastar that would be cheaper and sell like wildfire. If the come out with a Pentastar plus I may finally go for it. If they could milk 350-380 HP from the existing motor why bother?

Last edited by armycop; 11-25-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:34 PM
JK Super Freak

i seriously doubt he has his facts straight. im sure chrysler has met their max for high performance vehicles and if thats not the case then i can guarantee the iihs will not allow such power in the wrangler. they would really have to beef it up with safety features and lower the cg to improve handling. by the time they do the overhaul to make it a fully oem from factory srt8 jk, it will no longer be an offroad vehicle. it is not as easy as "oh i want the srt8 engine upgrade option on my build". and if it was a possibility, im sure their would be more info leaked being that your friend projected the release for 2013. it would have at least been at the international auto shows. but i hope my doubts are wrong and it would be awesome to be able to order it from the factory with warranty.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love it how random folks always seem to "know" what is coming for the future year wranglers. I still can't believe how long it took to confirm that the pentastar was actually going to hit with this model year. Chrysler has done a good job of keeping a lid on things as they come down the pipe, and I am quite certain your friend would NOT be in the know about this without many other folks being aware ahead of him. And those people aren't saying anything.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sa29560
Not sure what adamant means, but a v 8 sounds like the answer to our prayers. IF it ever happens, i would be pretty excited too.
sorry I forgot this website has a ton of "unedumicated folk" on it...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/adamant
Old 11-26-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d-wait-on-2013

hahaha. can't believe this is gonna start already.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't see them wasting the money needed to setup and produce an SRT8 Wrangler for such a small buying market...

Quick Reply: Special order srt8 engine for 2013