Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Speed Sensor Went Bad... Do I Need To Care?

Old 12-01-2013, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor Went Bad... Do I Need To Care?

I recently had my front right speed sensor go bad. I knew it was on the right due to the code so I replaced the easy one in the rear. It didn't fix it so my assumption is that it's the front. This would also make sense since that was the wheel that was binding up a bit and chirped on a rock just before the Christmas lights went on in my dash.

My speedo is still accurate from what I can see but my dash is still lit up. Other than being annoyed by this, do I need to care? Am I just losing antilock brakes and wheel spin control? Being a driver of the 70's and 80's, I really don't care as spinning tires and locked up brakes were a part of learning to drive. Anything else I need to be concerned with?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

The failed sensor could cause the other wheels to apply their brakes since they think the failed wheel isn't functioning correctly. I would say go on ahead and replace it to avoid the computer potentially locking up your brakes when you don't want it to.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be a bad unit bearing causing the sensor to fail. If would recommend checking the bearing for play .
Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

If it is a front sensor, it could indicate a bad wheel bearing.
When the hub bearings go bad, it messes up the alignment of the sensor to the tone ring.

( I see Biggy beat me to it. Hunt and peck is too slow, I guess.)
Old 12-01-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Would a bad bearing also cause the front end and front wheels to shake when braking? I got a little of that going on too.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyJack
Thanks guys. Would a bad bearing also cause the front end and front wheels to shake when braking? I got a little of that going on too.
Possibly. That is more commonly caused by a warped rotor. You can check run-out on the rotors, but you'll want a dial indicator for that. Depending on mileage on your Jeep, you may just want to replace both unit bearings (they come with the sensor, BTW), and have both rotors turned and install new pads since you've got all of that apart anyway (well, one side at least).
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies. Having it checked out today. Just did a brake job and wasn't having the warped rotor feel when braking so I don't think that's the case (and I didn't have them turned as the brake job was done in my garage). We'll see though.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyJack
Thanks for the replies. Having it checked out today. Just did a brake job and wasn't having the warped rotor feel when braking so I don't think that's the case (and I didn't have them turned as the brake job was done in my garage). We'll see though.
Sounds good. Swapping a unit bearing is not very difficult. And if you off-road it gives you experience at pulling an axle should the trail-need ever arise.

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor Went Bad... Do I Need To Care?