Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sport Vs Rubicon

Old 04-24-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foverorubi
With the money your gonna spend trading in the sport to get a rubi, I'm sure you can just build on the sport and make it just as good if not better than the rubicon
x 2 on that!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Corona Doug

Just go out and play in your rig till you break something... Your asking a bunch of guys what they like and when they hear someone say something that they don't like... it goes bad really fast.

"Sport vs. Rubi" has been posted so many times in one form or another on this forum and they end the same way. With people getting their feelings hurt.

Good luck with your build or new purchase
X3 on that!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

I bought the Sahara the 1st time around. I'm half tempted to look at a unlimited,, if I do I might just go x because I ended up changing out most of my stock stuff anyway.
Just make it what YOU want.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hdrider
I bought the Sahara the 1st time around. I'm half tempted to look at a unlimited,, if I do I might just go x because I ended up changing out most of my stock stuff anyway.
Just make it what YOU want.
That is my style as well. I have built both jeeps and street rods and have never cared for turn key vehicles.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by foverorubi
With the money your gonna spend trading in the sport to get a rubi, I'm sure you can just build on the sport and make it just as good if not better than the rubicon
X3 on that. You are going to take a hit for depreciation and that money will be well spent building your Sport. I saw a buddy buy a Rubicon and add a lift, change tires and gearing, replace the lockers with ARB so at this point the only thing left of the original Rubicon that could not have been added to the Sport already were the stickers, edisco and transfer case. This was a very expensive Rubicon at that point.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a bare bones X, no power, no frills ( except A/C ) I love it, building it little by little, yes all the extras would be nice, but im haveing alot of fun making this one mine.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take your Sport out and wheel it. I'm guessing with upgraded tires you'll be able to go most places a Rubicon can go. Add a lift, and you can get a little more difficult trails. Then, it's up to you if that's enough, or you want to make another step up in difficulty.

By that point, you'll know exactly what's more important for the trails you run. Do you get into situations where lockers would be advantageous? Add them. If not, don't, and spend the money on something else.

That's what I've love about owning a JK. Whether you have a X, a Sahara or a Rubicon, it's a very capable foundation that allows you to build exactly what you want for the type of trails you like to run.

And on any of them, there will be more parts "needed" than money.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notenuftoys
And on any of them, there will be more parts "needed" than money.
Well said!

I have a 2010 sport... sure there are plenty of times I wish I had the rubi transfer case, stronger axles w/lockers, and disconnects... but like others have said, I know that I'll be getting bigger/better stuff later. I haven't broken my Dana 30 yet so no need to worry about it. The money I saved, since my monthly payments are so low, go into my after market gear.

Eventually I'll be getting the AEV heat reduction hood so those rubicon stickers would have eventually been gone anyway.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dj422gpd
I bought a bare bones X, no power, no frills ( except A/C ) I love it, building it little by little, yes all the extras would be nice, but im haveing alot of fun making this one mine.
I didn't quite get the bare bones X...ac, power windows & locks, but I bought used, got super low mileage (9340) on an '07 this past December, and dove in to build "my" perfect jeep. Not Jim, John, Tod, nor Bill's, but a jeep that looks they way I want, and does what I want. I'm mechanically capable, have the space & tools, not to mention cash available to complete the project.

As it stands, I could have bought a brand new Rubi, paid cash, and still wouldn't have what I wanted.... fenders, sliders, skid plates, bumper, winch, exhaust, intake, compressor, 33" x 15" wheels & tires, lift kit.....

But this may NOT be what you want...suit yourself, buy, or build, or buy AND build...do it your way, make it yours. Just have fun, and wheel the finished product!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

If I had to do it over again , I still would have bought my 09 Unlimited X. I am having fun BUILDING IT MY WAY.

Quick Reply: Sport Vs Rubicon