Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is a stock rubicon Higher than non rubicons?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is a stock rubicon Higher than non rubicons?

I parked next to a stock JKUR today and with my 2.5" of lift, My jeep was only about 1.5" taller up front and Like 1/2" taller in the rear?

Just a question Oh and i checked his springs like a stalker, no spacers and stock springs with the tags still on them
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I parked my doorless Sahara next to a rubi and I sat about 3/4" higher in the front, 1/2" in the back.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

4x4 equipped Wrangler I think the only height difference will be springs on whatever you ordered. Towing package would sit somewhat higher for example. I had a Rubicon w/o the towing package and my Wife's Rubi with the towing package was slightly taller due to heavier springs.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stock Rubicons come 2"s higher off the dealership lot
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LiveOn
That's not true.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveOn
Few months ago I stopped at the dealer with a tape measure. There were a bunch of 2011 and 2012 Wranglers on the lot. All the Sports and Saharas measured about the same, and they were about an inch lower at the fender than the the Rubicons. None of them showed any factory or dealer mods on the stickers.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Freewill
Few months ago I stopped at the dealer with a tape measure. There were a bunch of 2011 and 2012 Wranglers on the lot. All the Sports and Saharas measured about the same, and they were about an inch lower at the fender than the the Rubicons. None of them showed any factory or dealer mods on the stickers.
That's a function of which springs get installed at the factory. There are three or four different kinds for both front and rear. In theory*, 2-door soft tops get the lightest springs while 4-door hard tops with the towing package get the strongest, and everything else falls somewhere in between. Rubicons do not get special springs.

*I say "in theory" because people have reported some strange combinations, leading some to speculate that you just get whatever the guy on the line happens to pull out of the spring pile.

Last edited by JK-Tex; 03-21-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

I have a JKR and my co-worker has a sahara jku and there is little to no differance between the height of our two JKs.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
That's a function of which springs get installed at the factory. There are three or four different kinds for both front and rear. In theory*, 2-door soft tops get the lightest springs while 4-door hard tops with the towing package get the strongest, and everything else falls somewhere in between. Rubicons do not get special springs.

*I say "in theory" because people have reported some strange combinations, leading some to speculate that you just get whatever the guy on the line happens to pull out of the spring pile.
Totally agree there is not a "Rubicon" spring or a "Sport" spring. In the case of fronts, spring numbers seem to range between 13 and 19.

The spring numbers are computer-generated. For a given build, the spring number is supposed bring the Jeep to the factory spec of 71.9" tall.

What I don't get is both Rubi and Sport are supposed to be 71.9" tall, yet all the Rubis I measured were an inch taller than the Sports. Maybe this is where grabbing the wrong spring at the factory comes into play. Or maybe the Rubis were so fresh that the springs had not "settled in" yet?

It is hard to figure what the factory does. My Rubi springs came from a JKUR hardtop, fully loaded including tow package - yet the spring numbers are one number lower than the strongest factory springs.

For sure, springs are a squishy subject
Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 4 door rubi and my co worker has a 4 door sahara. Both has Towing package. I havent measured exactly but it is definitley higher. I say at lesat 1 inch higher.

Quick Reply: Is a stock rubicon Higher than non rubicons?