JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Stock Rubicon vs Z71 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/stock-rubicon-vs-z71-267330/)

Winged 03-10-2013 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by kh202 (Post 3467809)
Ha. Go whoop him. Not even a question. Especially since he has all terrains. V8 doesn't matter. 4low and second gear will get you thru whatever he can and more. Sometimes first is better but depends on the hole

Lol. That's what she said.
I've be stationed in LA for 7 years. The mud down there gets thick and deep very fast. I think you will take him all day long. He has a truck with ATs. Those are ok on the trails but hit deep mud and no rear end weight and he is done. I have don't circles around tricks before in the jeep who are stuck looking for the best way to winch them out. And I agree. 4low will trump anything. You can win a tug of war with him in 4 low with out even trying. Take him on and when he needs a tow make a video of it and make sure he tells everybody he got owned.

Mello03 03-11-2013 02:43 AM

Ah, the almighty Z71 package! So awesome they once put them on 2 wheel drive trucks :D. Seriously.... It basically has a rear G80 locker, some skid plates, and stiffer shocks..............and a sticker. My moneys on your Jeep.

red2010rubi 03-11-2013 03:21 AM

Look forward to hearing how this contest goes :popcorn:

Yankee 03-11-2013 04:02 AM

My money would be on the Rubi with the mud tires. He is going to have to use wheel spin and momentum. Speed can work depending on the mud, length and depth of the run. But it can also bury you quick or catch something submerged and break an axle component. Speed can put you in way deep where you wish you had just stopped and reconsidered.

Let him go first, and likely he will get to see the real power of a fully locked Rubi when you pull him out. The Rubi is not really designed to be a mudder IMO, but a crawler/climber.

phanter 03-11-2013 04:20 AM

-I go for Jeeps too. Jeeps are best for off road trips. Share some picture buddy.

JKingAround 03-11-2013 04:31 AM

I've mudded my rubi a lot and there only two reasons I've got stuck the damn ESP or I got hung up in my buddy's ruts because he had 37s. But now I'm rolling on 37s so I'm good there. Just make sure you turn off the ESP and remember to turn it off again if you shut the jeep off. That all ways gets me.

otservice 03-11-2013 02:28 PM

Two completely different vehicles built for two different purposes. I've seen a LOT of Jeeps get stuck in the mud around here and full sizes as well, although not nearly as often. We have some deep, thick mud and even 10"+ lifted trucks with 44s get stuck. Same goes for the JKUs on tons and 40s around here, I've seen them get stuck and have to be winched out.

I'd say in a mud race around some flats the truck would own the Jeep due to the power and he has decent tires on it. The duratracs aren't completely flat A/T style tires. If it has a locker then even better. The only advantage the Rubi has is front and rear lockers though which will help when you get stuck.

Now if it were rock crawling, the Jeep would win due to type of suspension configuration and gearing and that it's half the size lol So you honestly can't compare the two vehicles as they are at opposite ends of the spectrum is uses.

saskipper 03-11-2013 05:50 PM

Having owned both, a 2007 Rubicon, and a 2005 Z71 Silverado, I would bet on the Jeep. The Z71 is a great truck, and in the mud it will do well. Tires give you the edge in this mud race. Get on some rocks, and you will kill it all day long, no contest.

Play nice though. Remeber, if you break something, he can put your Jeep on a trailer and tow you home. If he breaks something, you can't tow squat.

Tooadvanced 03-12-2013 03:34 PM

When I went to Oklahoma to visit my mom i went out with my cousin in his stock rubicon and my other cousin brought out his Z71(funny same situation huh) and First it started off with a ladder hill climb. Z71 cousin said dont do it Ive seen 4 rigs roll down that climb, Well 4lo lockers lockecd and we started. Six 12-16 inch steps later we were at the top. Z71 couldnt make it over first step. So z71 cousin challenged mud pit next. Z71 mud terrians made it to middle and we had to tow him out. Rubicon made to where he made it and stopped. Then we locked lockers and we climbed all the through the rest. So i say got for it and post pics or video of you whopping him

Jonathan_JK 03-12-2013 05:07 PM

For some reason guys with pickups always try to justify their purchase by trying to pick on a Jeep guy. We all know here we made the right choice but sometimes we need to show those guys who is the boss when it comes to off-roading.

I'm going down to South Georgia for easter to visit my in-laws and my brother in-law has already challenged me to an off road outing. He says he can out wheel my JK. He has a 2008 F150 with 6" of lift and 35" MT MTZ tires. Even though he has a larger lift I still think I can clear and negotiate mud and obstacles better. I'll take some pic's when I go down.

The JK will be victorious!!