Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Storing/Bending the Hard Top

Old 03-08-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing/Bending the Hard Top

Even though it snowed and iced over twice this week and it was 24F this morning when I got up, it's getting to be that time down here in Texas. Spring must surely be around the corner.

Got to start thinking about taking off the hard top.

My question is,...

Has anyone had any issues with the top bending or losing its shape while being stored? I've reviewed the hoist threads, the "stand 'em up" threads, and the "hang 'em on the wall" links, but still wonder about this.

Any strong opinions or real life experience with this problem, if it's a problem at all??

Thanks ya'll.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no problem with any bending or it changing shape. The longest I had it off was about 4 months. I stored mine with it just resting on the garage floor with pads under it.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsack
I had no problem with any bending or it changing shape. The longest I had it off was about 4 months. I stored mine with it just resting on the garage floor with pads under it.

Was it just lying on the roof part upside down? This would distribute the weight over a greater area and probably avoid any bending issue.

I don't have that kind of floor space so I will either have to hang it from the ceiling or on the wall.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

I had an old chain hoist laying around and welded up a bracket shaped pretty much like Lange's. I then put 4 big eye screws in the ceiling, 2 front, 2 in the back. The top spent the summer suspended with the weight distributed from the three hooks on the bracket and a strap at the front and a 1X6 under the back suspended by straps. Definitely no bending at all.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmcan
Was it just lying on the roof part upside down? This would distribute the weight over a greater area and probably avoid any bending issue.

I don't have that kind of floor space so I will either have to hang it from the ceiling or on the wall.
I just sat it down the way it sits on the jeep, top up. At some point I will make a way to store it more out of the way but it works for now. I have the hoist that sells in the catalogs, but it is a pain in the butt to use and I didn't want to leave the top suspended in the air, I'd hate to see my top go crashing to the concrete slab. The top has a lot of flex to it anyway so I'm not to concerned about putting a permanent mis-shape into as much as I worry alittle about small stress cracks

Quick Reply: Storing/Bending the Hard Top