Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Stupid engine question

Old 12-15-2006, 02:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel not

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
Is a 6cyl diesel heavier than a 6cyl gasoline engine? That's pretty interesting if it is, I've never heard that. Of course I didn't know what a bowtie was either.

That's one aspect I did consider with a regular Jeep. The diesel will be able to handle the weight of the Jeep better than a gasoline engine. Like I said I was just curious if it was the concept of the higher torque or is the gas engine really not able to handle some situations?

Beel
BeerMonkey is correct in his answer - usually their heavier - some full size tractor trailer rigs are huge 6 cyl. motors. I've never had a diesel in a jeep so I'm not a diesel fan rather a gas guy. I have several thousand hours of seat time in a John Deere logging skidder though- which was the greatest climbing machine the world has ever seen - it had a big six in it. Maybe I just don't understand the application in a jeep - I'm not knocking them I'm just not in love with oil burners.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

I dont know what the dry weight of a jeep 3.8L is but i know the dry weight of a cummins 3.9L 4BT motor is close to 570 pounds and thats a 4 cylinder turbo diesel.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biglynny
BeerMonkey is correct in his answer - usually their heavier - some full size tractor trailer rigs are huge 6 cyl. motors. I've never had a diesel in a jeep so I'm not a diesel fan rather a gas guy. I have several thousand hours of seat time in a John Deere logging skidder though- which was the greatest climbing machine the world has ever seen - it had a big six in it. Maybe I just don't understand the application in a jeep - I'm not knocking them I'm just not in love with oil burners.
Thanks for all the input folks. It makes sense they would be heavier but I never thought about it.

I don't care for diesel engines either, part of the reason I'm curious about this. Living in a farming/ranching area I get really tired of sitting next to a giant ranch rig with a turbo diesel and being choked out with the exhaust. Or sitting in the drive thru at the bank and the diesel next to you makes it impossible to hear the teller over the intercom.

I know these are irrational reasons for not liking them but it makes it hard to even consider driving one myself. I completely understand the ranchers needing them to haul horse trailers and other equipment around, but I just don't think it's for me.

Thanks again for the education folks.

Beel
Old 12-15-2006, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
Thanks for all the input folks. It makes sense they would be heavier but I never thought about it.

I don't care for diesel engines either, part of the reason I'm curious about this. Living in a farming/ranching area I get really tired of sitting next to a giant ranch rig with a turbo diesel and being choked out with the exhaust. Or sitting in the drive thru at the bank and the diesel next to you makes it impossible to hear the teller over the intercom.

I know these are irrational reasons for not liking them but it makes it hard to even consider driving one myself. I completely understand the ranchers needing them to haul horse trailers and other equipment around, but I just don't think it's for me.

Thanks again for the education folks.

Beel
Both of these are completely unfounded concerns with today's high tech diesels. My neighbor has a Mercedes E320 diesel. It idles just as quiet as a gas motor, has no stench, get 10 mpg better than the equivalent V6 motor, and has better acceleration than the V6. It's this type of motor that will make it into any Jeep vehicle in the near future.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

but is 10mpg more cost efficient since is costs .40 more a gallon ? I believe the ones Beel is referring to are the power smokes (power strokes) and Cummins. these are in no way quiet or clean burning. I am with you on that topic Beel.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

The whole diesel thing is just something to complain about. The I6 of the old jeeps was the single best off road engine. There has never been a track record for diesels off road.

If jeep offered a diesel they wouldn't sale anymore. In fact 5 states don't even allow diesel vehicle sales. If the reason your not buying a JK is because of a diesel, you don't really want one. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH A DIESEL IN A JEEP THAT HAS A TOWING CAP OF 3500 lbs?????????:confused: The towing cap is due to the jeep not the engine. I personally thought the should have kept the I6. But I have no issues with the new engine.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Up Here, Diesel Fuel is cheaper than regular gas.
BTW, Diesels have more tourque and are better for rock climbing

Quick Reply: Stupid engine question