Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Teenager Learning to drive in Jeep Good or Bad?

Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dodge4me
Did she take her practical test in it with the door off too? I'll bet that was a first for the testing agent!
No, she took Drivers Ed at school and didn't have to do a test ride at DMV. That would have been fun though!
Old 03-04-2015, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be easy to parallel park...
Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 AM
JK Freak

I learned in an '84 CJ7.. best idea ever... I plan on teaching my daughter to drive in a Jeep... but that will be in 15 years
Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's a fine idea. The minute I got my permit, my dad was having me drive everywhere in every vehicle he could come up with. Tow a trailer? Drive in snow? Downtown traffic? Country back roads at night? He had me in the driver's seat. The more experience, the better.

When it comes to performance cars and big 4x4's, I think that experience is better than abstinence for young drivers Else they'll blow their load on the first time out when they finally get behind the wheel of something cool.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both of my daughters learned in my TJ. Highly recommend. My first kid lightly rearended someone, so then I bought an aftermarket front bumper. 2 years later the second kid hammered one of the fenders, so I got aftermarket flat fenders.........they are both driving JK's now but I need more kids so I can continue modding my TJ.........
Old 03-04-2015, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I learned to drive a standard in my uncle's yj when I was 15. I remember driving around town with him in the middle of the night then we took it out to a spot we used to have called the sand pits. That jeep ended up being my first jeep about a year later.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ezndo
Both of my daughters learned in my TJ. Highly recommend. My first kid lightly rearended someone, so then I bought an aftermarket front bumper. 2 years later the second kid hammered one of the fenders, so I got aftermarket flat fenders.........they are both driving JK's now but I need more kids so I can continue modding my TJ.........
That's a good way to justify the mods LOL!
Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I learned to drive manual in my 88 YJ and think it was the best way to learn in retrospect. The height let me see over other vehicles giving me a better view of what was ahead so I was able to foresee any issues. At that time, the Sidekicks were flipping over left and right so I was conscious of safety at all times. Since it was a Jeep, there was no way I would speed!

Plus, consider this an opportunity to get your kid into Jeeps and you can carve out some time to wrench with him.

Jeeps.....bringing families closer together ....considering you have no money left for vacations after mods!
Old 03-07-2015, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

My first vehicle was a '95 F-150 longbed, however, I took the test in my Dad's(now mine) '09 2dr JK, and was completely thrown off at first because of how much shorter the Jeep was and how easy it was to maneuver it. You can only imagine the look on my instructors face when he asked me to perform, what was suppose to be a 3-point turn on a two lane road, but just ended up being a U-turn with room to spare. In the end, I passed the test with ease, fell in love with the Jeep; and now after 4 years, a couple thousand dollars, and countless hours of work later, I couldn't be happier.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think learning to drive using a jeep is great, however, when it comes to a first car, these wranglers are pretty expensive for a first vehicle. They can get pretty expensive even for an adult with a decent job.

Quick Reply: Teenager Learning to drive in Jeep Good or Bad?