Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

TeraFlex tailgate tire carrier?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex

Yes there is.
I was wondering if I had an aftermarket Rear bumper already like the Posion Spyder BFH. I was wondering if the only difference between your first release bumper for up to 35 inch is because tire clearance or does it need additional support for a tire larger than 35?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

i understand what it takes to design, test, market, manufacture and sell a product. The $500 price point is going to be hard to swallow for what it is - a beefed up tailgate mount. especially given all the other options out there.

i fully expected to get this for $350-400 shipped - and for that price, it would have been a no-brainer. probably still more than some are willing pay, but i'm willing to pay for quality and ingenuity.

now there is still much to be discovered about this product as Teraflex has been pretty vague about all the details, but unless they have something groundbreaking or really special, i'll go out on a limb and say it's too much money.

i've been on this bandwagon since it was first spoke of - and i'm not hopping off just yet.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Official price for the basic carrier kit for stock size tires to 35's will be $499.99. TeraFlex is working on provisions for taller tires right now on my JK. I will post some pics of the carrier on my JK today here. The main tire carrier piece is the same for both kits.

Now this is one of the first kits and not the final product, so some minor details will be addressed.
Thanks for the pics... But $500 bucks for basically what i can get from the stock carrier???? No thanks. I run my 35's on the stock and absolutely no adverse effects. The stock to 35 setup should be well below $500.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bubbacon

Thanks for the pics... But $500 bucks for basically what i can get from the stock carrier???? No thanks. I run my 35's on the stock and absolutely no adverse effects. The stock to 35 setup should be well below $500.
Well, hopefully you are one of the lucky ones. It took a little over a year until mine started rattling and bouncing around at every bump with only a 34".
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bubbacon
Just to play the devil's advocate...

My tire/wheel bounces like crazy on the stock carrier, so I don't really see it as a long term solution. Going off of the pictures Joe posted, this carrier will allow for the tire/wheel to be more closely mounted to the rear gate -- one of my biggest aesthetic aversions to having mounted my aftermarket tire/wheel to the stock carrier is how how far it dangles away from the gate.

You have to look at it like this: If you purchase an aftermarket tire carrier/bumper setup... you are going to pay, on average, $1500. Examples (using pricing from Northridge4x4, save for the Poison Spyder price which is from their website): Poison Spyder JK Rockbrawler with tire carrier ($1275, uncoated); AEV JK rear bumper with tire carrier ($1750, coated); Expedition One bumper with tire carrier ($1500, coated); Hanson bumper with tire carrier ($1450-1550, coated); LoD full-length with tire carrier ($1450, coated).

With this Teraflex solution, you have $500 in the carrier and $1000 towards a rear bumper of your choosing. It opens up a host of possibilities for those who want options. This argument holds for the OR-FAB carrier (non-cans, $560) and Genright carrier (steel, $700) as well.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

That's a very nice looking carrier. Looks way better than the or-fab
Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ALEXANDERJASON
i understand what it takes to design, test, market, manufacture and sell a product. The $500 price point is going to be hard to swallow for what it is - a beefed up tailgate mount. especially given all the other options out there.

i fully expected to get this for $350-400 shipped - and for that price, it would have been a no-brainer. probably still more than some are willing pay, but i'm willing to pay for quality and ingenuity.

now there is still much to be discovered about this product as Teraflex has been pretty vague about all the details, but unless they have something groundbreaking or really special, i'll go out on a limb and say it's too much money.

i've been on this bandwagon since it was first spoke of - and i'm not hopping off just yet.
DITTO

$350 to $400 was closer to what I was expecting. Personally, I like the Or-Fab set-up better if I have to spend $500.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Joe Boxer

Just to play the devil's advocate...

My tire/wheel bounces like crazy on the stock carrier, so I don't really see it as a long term solution. Going off of the pictures Joe posted, this carrier will allow for the tire/wheel to be more closely mounted to the rear gate -- one of my biggest aesthetic aversions to having mounted my aftermarket tire/wheel to the stock carrier is how how far it dangles away from the gate.

You have to look at it like this: If you purchase an aftermarket tire carrier/bumper setup... you are going to pay, on average, $1500. Examples (using pricing from Northridge4x4, save for the Poison Spyder price which is from their website): Poison Spyder JK Rockbrawler with tire carrier ($1275, uncoated); AEV JK rear bumper with tire carrier ($1750, coated); Expedition One bumper with tire carrier ($1500, coated); Hanson bumper with tire carrier ($1450-1550, coated); LoD full-length with tire carrier ($1450, coated).

With this Teraflex solution, you have $500 in the carrier and $1000 towards a rear bumper of your choosing. It opens up a host of possibilities for those who want options. This argument holds for the OR-FAB carrier (non-cans, $560) and Genright carrier (steel, $700) as well.
Dont get me wrong... I love this design. The price point doesnt match though - especially with alternatives at the same price point that add more features. I would be a buyer at $350 or so.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

That's quite a lot of speculation on the price guys. I'm going to just wait and see what the price actually is. Also, I am perfectly fine with my bumper, I just want a tire carrier that doesn't rattle.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

It looks good, price is more than I was hoping for. Im soon going to 37s, and until I can build a bumper with a carrier not sure what Ill do with my spare. I would like to see how the mounting is beefed up to take the abuse that the stocker wont. I guess being mounted closer to the gate also plays a big part in making it rugged, less force than when its hanging way out like the stock unit, but Im not an engineer. Have to see more before I would buy one.......just have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: TeraFlex tailgate tire carrier?