Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thin metal

Old 05-13-2007, 02:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thin metal

I have never seen any other vehicle with the type of metal that is used on the JK. Unfortunately there are going to be many JK'S with many dents its already started to happen to mine. The centre hood, the lower portion at bottom of front door and the rounded piece in front of the mirrors are of major concern.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

No dents on mine...what are you doing with your JK anyway??
Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen lots of vehicles with this thin, cheap metal-- most are newer models. They make the metal thinner as a cheap way to accommodate fuel economy needs & crash safety standards.

The metal works much better when molded to fit the blobby look just about every car on the road has these days-- because the Jeep Wrangler has always had large expanses of flat body panels, the thin metal dents far too easily.

I don't think this is all that new to the Wrangler though-- door dents are just a way of life when you go with this vehicle.

If you want to strengthen the body (and who wouldn't), I'd think Dynamat or some other sound dampening material would work great (though under the hood would need something that is thermal resistant as well). Applying it may be a real pain though-- I don't know what the door panels look like disassembled.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ClownBaby
No dents on mine...what are you doing with your JK anyway??
I use it! for what it was meant
Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but the good news is, think how cheap it will be to replace!

Quick Reply: Thin metal