Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thinking of selling the JK...

Old 08-01-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling the JK...

With gas prices the way they are, and no stop in sight, i am thinking of selling the Jeep. I am very torn, i really like the JK, i like wheeling, even though there isn't much in Michigan, but i don't know. I do like change, in my 6 years of driving i have not had a vehicle for more than 2 years, i will have had the JK 2 years end of August.
I am thinking of getting something like a Tacoma, Explorer, Grand Cherokee. After having two SUV's i know i will not go back to a car as a D.D.

So here is a question, what do you think it is worth? Here are the details:
2007 2 Dr Rubicon
Black
Dual Tops
FT 3" Lift ( Economy)
35" BFG M/T on 17" Pro Cop Wheels
Custom Bumper
Custom Rock rails

No body damage, not even any pin stripping. Runs perfect, never had any problems, no accidents. Pics are in my gallery.

I know most will say keep it, and that is not out of the question. Right now i am just exploring the idea.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you sell it, do not sell it because of fuel economy. Especially if you plan to get another SUV. Who is to say you won't mod that thing and be right back at square one?

But if you do, buy a Grand Cherokee. My next Jeep is probably gonna be a WK CRD, and no I don't care that desiel costs more than gas.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Check out www.fueleconomy.gov

If the only reason your wanting to sell the JK is because of gas prices, the other vehicles arnt any better, if at all.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll regret it......
Old 08-01-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the jk and buy one of these
Click image for larger version

Name:	173_7306.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	11406

50-55mpg and you can get one for 7grand brand new, you'll probably lose that much in difference or more on buying a suv you chose. My bike is my dd now, bout $30 for gas every 2 weeks JK sits in the garage and waits for saturday.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, i am not thinking of selling just because of fuel economy, it is just a factor (currently getting a whopping 12-14MPG). Mostly i just like change and getting new things to change it up.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRuby
With gas prices the way they are, and no stop in sight, i am thinking of selling the Jeep. I am very torn, i really like the JK, i like wheeling, even though there isn't much in Michigan, but i don't know. I do like change, in my 6 years of driving i have not had a vehicle for more than 2 years, i will have had the JK 2 years end of August.
I am thinking of getting something like a Tacoma, Explorer, Grand Cherokee. After having two SUV's i know i will not go back to a car as a D.D.

2007 2 Dr Rubicon
Black
Dual Tops
FT 3" Lift ( Economy)
Custom Bumper
Custom Rock rails

No body damage, not even any pin stripping. Runs perfect, never had any problems, no accidents. Pics are in my gallery.

I know most will say keep it, and that is not out of the question. Right now i am just exploring the idea.

It ain't worth anywhere near what you think. With gas prices bein what they are, that's gonna drop the value even farther. Nobody's gonna want a flyin brick......even if it gets 20MPG.......they just ain't gonna believe that. Trust me, you'll kick yourself if you sell it. You'll never have another like it.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Jedi

I agree with the others. Now if you want to change just because, then that is understandable, but you'll probably take a signifcant hit. Why not consider changing back to stock (or near stock) to improve you economy. Maybe you could also look at some different mods for the JK to freshen it up?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

I see you have 35's and nothing about regearing... THAT righ there is a big factor in your MPG and performance. I KNOW it's Green aples to Red aples but On a 200 mile trip theis last week, EVEN with some serious issues I averaged 18-13MPG and I've got a CJ with 35's and 4.88 gears

I ran the 35's and 4.10's for YEARS, but MAN this makes it FUN to drive again

edit: you sell it, you WILL regret it. That's why I have my black CJ now, and we are looking at an unlimited for the wife (and a TJ/LJ for my son. Well ME untill he is old enough)

Last edited by 84jeepjohn; 08-02-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BLKRuby

2007 2 Dr Rubicon
Black
Dual Tops
FT 3" Lift ( Economy)
Custom Bumper
Custom Rock rails

First of all, it doesn't matter what we think it's worth. If you're going to trade it for another vehicle than it's worth is up to the market. To that end I suggest KBB or NADA to find it's value and be prepared for the dealer to low ball you because SUV type vehicles are not selling well at all right now.

Now, with respect to what you're trading it for.

Jeep Wrangler 15 / 20 mpg

Toyota Tacoma 17 / 21 automatic 15 /19 stick unless you get the chinsey little street version.

Ford Explorer ranges from 13 / 18 to 14 / 20 depending on motor and options. None of them are any better than a Jeep.

Jeep Grand Cherokee ranges from 9 / 12 to 18 / 23 depending on model and options.

In short what I'm saying is, you aren't saving any gas by trading to one of these vehicles. If you are that concerned about saving gas you need to consider trading to a car that is lighter and more aerodynamic.

You're going to take a bath on the trade in and you aren't saving money. I fail to see the value in doing this. It's your Jeep and your money pal. Do what you want.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the JK...