Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Thoughts on Pentastar engine swaps

Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Pentastar engine swaps

I know this is premature to say the least, but I'm looking forward to inexpensive pentastar powertrains being available after 2012ers swap some engines out. I'm interested in thoughts on what the complexity of the engine swap will be from the 3.8 to the new 3.6s. What do you guys think?

Micah
Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would totally be interested, my fiancé just bought the 2012, I honestly just want the new styling of interior.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

More involved that you probably think. Other things you'll need would be new ecu/tcu, exhaust; pretty much scrap the old exhaust and start from scratch. Transmission mounts would need to be relocated, motor mounts, battery relocated (rotated) as the new Pentastar engines are larger (but lighter). Probabkly easier to trade yours in and buy a 2012 or 2013...
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the gain would it not be easier to supercharge the 3.8. That's a lot of work and $$$$ for what 60hp? I like the idea thou because I like the old interior.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shortbuss
For the gain would it not be easier to supercharge the 3.8. That's a lot of work and $$$$ for what 60hp? I like the idea thou because I like the old interior.
Actually, according to this chart the gain is 0 to maybe 20 HP up to 4,000 RPM (normal driving range). If you want to get maybe 20 more HP with your current engine there are many less expensive options.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Honestly for the expense and hassle involved it would be cheaper and easier to swap for a hemi...those have been around since '04 or '05 models....while the pentastar has only been around for a year. Plus all the parts you need for one can be had in kit form.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

I understand there's a lot of work that goes in to the swap, however, this is what I'm thinking. Eventually the 2012s will support a hemi swap option. Most of the hardware is already there, and I imagine it will only take a few tweaks to make the current swaps compatible. When that happens, there's probably going to be a glut of 3.6s on the market just as there are a bunch of 3.8s available pretty cheap now. It seems to me that all that will be needed for the 3.6s to fit will be new motor and tranny mounts. Everything else will come straight from the Wrangler it was taken from including exhaust, radiator, computer, etc.

Also, there is a lot of talk about factory turbo kits and other mods readily available for the 3.6s for the other vehicles it will power. Without a turbocharger, the 3.6 produces 50% more power than the 3.8 engine. With a turbocharger, it will easily be 75-100% more powerful.

Because the engine will be used in everything from the charger and challenger to the 300, I really think it will be a readily available, inexpensive, readily installed motor that will have many performance options even from the OEM.

Micah

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Pentastar engine swaps