Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Throwing a flag!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I purchased my rims/tires, I could only afford 4. If someone would buy my stock wheels/tires for a fair price instead of offering a couple of hundred bucks and then asking if I would drive a couple of hundred miles to meet them....... then I could get that matching spare...which still wouldn't go on until i can afford a new rear bumper that could hold the 37" tire....

So, unless there is a huge crime wave here in NE NC and I get quite a few bonds or someone buys my tires, I will be riding around on 4 37" Toyos with no spare...
Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah... i think it looks rediculous too... for god's sake, run stockers until you can afford 5!

i must admit though, I thought long and hard about it, and I was just going up to 32". I wound up buying the spare one week to replace a blown stocker, then the other 4 the next
Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

So, how bout this scenario...

I'm getting 4 new tires tomorrow (MT MTZ's)...in the same size that I currently have. Would it be against "JEEP LAW" to have 5 matching wheels, but only 4 matching tires?

Example, here's what my spare will still look like after I get the MTZ's installed....
Old 01-31-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree that it looks bad, but if it doesnt bother you then whatever. Personaly, I would wait until I can get all 5 installed at the same time, but to each their own.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm never gonna buy another (5th) MTZ...at almost $200 each it's pointless, it's a spare. I'll probably just get a tire cover, or just not worry about it.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
OK listen UP!!!!

i'm not new to this, i'm not new to offroading. but calling someone a "chode" because their rear spare doesn't match . . . it shows your true ignorance.

yes, a 27" spare with 37" tires WILL NOT GET YOU HOME, i agree.

but if you're running 33's and a 31 or 32" spare, it will get you off the trail and will get you home.

running a spare with 1-2" difference in diameter will not blow up your 4wd system!!!!

unless you have the axles locked on the pavement, it won't matter. your spider gears will get more of a workout, but it will be FINE

for YEARS i ran the same 35" spare even though i ran 36" tires. i used it to get me off the trail and home twice after blowing beads.

If you're going out on a long trail ride, you SHOULD have a full size spare. Many places will not let you in without one.

If i end up with 33's on my JK (it's between those and 35's) then i WILL be leaving the stock 32" spare on.

a 32" spare at 35 psi is probably TALLER than a 33" trail tire at 15 psi.

sorry, had to speak my mind. there seems to be a lot of people in here who are way to critical of what others do.

game on.
x2............
Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hansonian
my biggest complaint against other jeepers (and you know who you are) is not waving back when you drive by. those are the people we should be harassing, not the people with bunk spares.

thats my .02
Amen. The only wave I have gotten since I picked up my Jeep this week was from a guy in a CJ. Seems like the JK soccer mom's and the TJ's are the worst offenders. Maybe after I get my 35's that will change a bit.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Default Spare

OK you got me. Thought I might fool someone. You can start the donations to my account any time. All I need is 450.00 to fall in line with the new law. Sorry dude don't give me a ticket.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like being able to look into my rearview mirror and actually seeing whats behind me out the window.
I would use my side mirrors but those are broken up from my tires throwing rocks/debris at them since I am running a lift/tires and OH NO, STOCK FENDERS!!! Probably another thread for that one!
Sincerely,
Chode
Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

I think Hillary supports this law too. I'll use the $1800 that Bush is gonna give me to kick start the economy to keep in line.

Quick Reply: Throwing a flag!!!