Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tinting the soft top windows?

Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978cj7jk2012
Did they give a reason?
Nope, just said they will not do them. Probably has something to do with putting the film on plastic.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I had decent luck with the static cling style tint from Adavance Auto for my rear upper halves. They were clear, so I got the 30ish% film to match the factory it it on the rear windows. Went on pretty well and held up for over 3 years. I know they have darker levels, so you could probably get close.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
I had decent luck with the static cling style tint from Adavance Auto for my rear upper halves. They were clear, so I got the 30ish% film to match the factory it it on the rear windows. Went on pretty well and held up for over 3 years. I know they have darker levels, so you could probably get close.
May have to give that a shot, kind of hard buying new panels when you have a 2013 Jeep.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to keep the static stuff clean because stuff will stick to it and will not come off.. They have films for plastics but I know know much about them as I have never used them.. I wish you were closer I would tint them for you and we could see what happens as an experiment..
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1978cj7jk2012
Be sure to keep the static stuff clean because stuff will stick to it and will not come off.. They have films for plastics but I know know much about them as I have never used them.. I wish you were closer I would tint them for you and we could see what happens as an experiment..
Thanks, I'd be half tempted to ship them to you so you can try but I don't know how I'd get 'em back. I mean, the only thing that I can see as a problem tinting them with regular tint is if you were to roll up the window, like the back window, then yeah, obviously it would crack. That's the only reason why I can figure a shop would not tint them cause they probably think that you would just go yelling at them to fix it. You know what gets me... All the years Jeeps have been around with the soft tops and windows, I can't believe that someone has not yet come up with a viable solution to this problem! I don't see the side windows being any real issue cause they are 'flat' or stay 'flat' and rolling up the back window is what I see as the ONLY problem using regular car window tint. I wonder....

Quick Reply: Tinting the soft top windows?