Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tips on cleaning?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a gas powered cheapie high pressure washer at the house, then I drive to a self-serve car wash that uses hot water and hit with some soap. After it dries, I repaint everything with gloss black paint. Takes a couple hours, but still looks great and any rock rash gets a paint job to prevent rust.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
I use a gas powered cheapie high pressure washer at the house, then I drive to a self-serve car wash that uses hot water and hit with some soap. After it dries, I repaint everything with gloss black paint. Takes a couple hours, but still looks great and any rock rash gets a paint job to prevent rust.
I do the exact same thing just don't use gloss black...I prefer satin black on mine.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK

I had a black show truck that had been painted and wet sanded, the whole nine yards. It never failed though I would always get swirls. Believe it or not for the best shine on a black car after u wash and get to the show or whatever you are doing. Go over it with a microfiber towel and lemon scented pledge. Takes everything out and makes the paint look so deep. It will come of after the rain though.
I use lemon scented pledge on my interior.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Ill be getting under my jeep in the summer cleaning and painting everything just wish I could get the gas skid off kinda nervous too
Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

3200 PSI pressure washer with cheap dishwashing detergent followed by spraying it with cheap dressing/ protectant. www.autopia.org is an awesome detailing forum and you can find thousands of pro detailing tricks there.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big c
Ill be getting under my jeep in the summer cleaning and painting everything just wish I could get the gas skid off kinda nervous too
I read that the skid and tank are held together by the same bolts. Careful.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Pressure wash and wax will work, however it's a Jeep so I wouldn't worry about it
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by desertbuzz
Invest in a small pressure washer ... Karcher ... Bosch ... etc ...
It does wonders .
I bought one and it doesn't get it as clean as I'd like. You can still see dirt on stuff. My friend uses this stuff on his truck that is meant for log trucks but it's really harsh. It hurts to breath and burns your skin. Would like to stay away from that kind of stuff.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Armor all really makes it look good? I never would of thought of that! Any other cleaner stuff work?

Thanks for the tips and to the sprinkler idea, I'd have to leave it on FOREVER!!

BTW, I'm trying to get the underside of this clean:

I'm selling it to get back into a JK! I miss my Jeep alot.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have a way of cleaning the mud film from bumpers with texture paint? Tried scrubbing with a brush, hot soapy water, car wash and different sprayed, such as armor all; however, once it dries, the film is back.

Quick Reply: Tips on cleaning?