Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire Carrier Recomendation

Old 09-26-2010, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Carrier Recomendation

hey guys I am just looking for recomendations for a real tire carrier extendor, my new tires are just a little to big to fit so I can't fully tighten the bolts, everytime I hit a bump it rattles like crazy, looking to order something tonight or tomorrow, it looks like a lot of them relocate them up, but I don't want it to block my factory brake light, is their one you guys use that just extends the tire out, I saw one on quadratec for 35 dollars but don't know the quality. Thanks in advance guys
Old 09-26-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't offer any advice on a spacer or extender since my 35" KM2 just barely clears the recess in the bumper I didn't need to space it out. However, I do suggest some extended tailgate bumpstops like the ones Daystar offers. They replace the factory rubber bumpers that keep pressure against the spare tire to limit it's movement/shaking. From what I've gathered, it's not so much the weight of the 35 that can damage the tailgate, it's the shaking around from not being supported properly.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

What size tire are you trying to fit.

If you cannot tighten it down you need to remove it and put it in the back of your Jeep.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jdubb75
I do suggest some extended tailgate bumpstops like the ones Daystar offers. They replace the factory rubber bumpers that keep pressure against the spare tire to limit it's movement/shaking. From what I've gathered, it's not so much the weight of the 35 that can damage the tailgate, it's the shaking around from not being supported properly.
x2! What they said! There are lots of threads on this topic, and it seems that the Daystar bumpstops do tend to help if you're using the stock carrier.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

see, I only have a 33.5 inch tires, but its rubbing up against the bumper and the dealership told me "it won't fit so we don't want to tighten it down all the way", if I swing the door open, you can see where the rubber from the tire is rubbing off on my bumper.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

That was a stupid answer from the dealership!
When the tire falls off and you kill a van load of Nuns, I don't think that you will get them to say that during your trial.
Get new bump stops, or trim the ones you have now and tighten the tire down.
When it is sitting flush and level, it might not even rub on the bumper too much and it will not damage the tire if it does.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jknit
see, I only have a 33.5 inch tires, but its rubbing up against the bumper and the dealership told me "it won't fit so we don't want to tighten it down all the way", if I swing the door open, you can see where the rubber from the tire is rubbing off on my bumper.
Are they mounted on your stock wheels? If so, you probably will need to space it out a little because of the large amount of backspacing on the factory wheels. Either way, you should just take the spare off until you can get it mounted properly. If you put it in the back of the Jeep for the time being, I would suggest finding a way to strap it down securely. You don't want it flying around inside with you if you were to get in an accident.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex has the spare tire extension bracket you are looking for on there website for 33.99
Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey guys thanks and yea I just ordered the teraflex one, and yes they are mounted on my stock wheels, as I was driving home from my gf's last night at like 9, the rattling was just to much it started getting me really nervous so I got out with this tire iron and decided fuck the bumper i need to crank these down for the time being, thank god I did, they told me they just werent fully cranked down, they were barely on at all!!! i turned each lugnot with the tire iron at least 10 times!!! it was just a matter of time before the wheel fell off, thank god. And thanks for all your help guys
Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

The relocation braket will push your tire out and up.
You will also need to get the Daystar Bumpstops and maybe the Teraflex thrid brakelight extender..

Quick Reply: Tire Carrier Recomendation