Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Tire Cleaning HELP!!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditto on 303 - I just spray the tires and leave it on for a little while and give it a quick wipe to get off the excess - does a decent job of making the tires look good without making them glossary or over done.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car wash has stuck me with the shiny stuff a few times. I agree, after I had them wash it off the tires looked black but as soon as I got in the dirt it was a MESS. Seems My tires collected the dirt more than normal. I think that's why they turned green, yellow and brown in the forst place. They seem to have a film and I think it's tire dressing spooge.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
The car wash has stuck me with the shiny stuff a few times. I agree, after I had them wash it off the tires looked black but as soon as I got in the dirt it was a MESS. Seems My tires collected the dirt more than normal. I think that's why they turned green, yellow and brown in the forst place. They seem to have a film and I think it's tire dressing spooge.
If you use the meguiars high endurance and wash it off it shouldnt collect dirt. I think the brown is caused by the rubber "blooming", I have no idea why it does that, but I remember reading that somewhere The meguiars is supposed to treat it and not just cover it. I know when I use that stuff my tires stay jet black for at least 3 or 4 weeks. If ya cant tell, I love this stuff, and despite what my fiance thinks, its not just because it smells like grape

Last edited by bly109; 09-12-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

The colors that you are saying your tires are turning is actually diagnostic of the problem. Tires are made of petroleum products (picture oil in water). The solution is simpler than you think. Use a pressure washer real quick then, spray some varsol on the tire and while it is still wet apply a good all-purpose cleaner. Using a stiff brush throuroughly scrub the tire and rinse it off. I recommend doing this one wheel at a time and be careful not to get varsol on your paint. Back in my detailing days this worked wonders and made even the worse tires look virtually new. I would still recommend applying some 303 (just alittle then wipe it off) to "remoisturize" your tires.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Sorry for what may seem like a dumb answer but flat black (cheap) spray paint always worked on my other trucks.
Hell it's what they use on retreaded tires to make them look new.
Plus by the time it wears off it will take the dicolored crude off with it.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I had my truck I just used Simple Green to clean them and then sprayed and rubbed that Dupont Teflon Tire stuff on them. It has a slight sheen but wears offin a day or two. After a few treatments my tires stayed clean and black longer. Made cleanup easy.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires, as you know are made of rubber, and when manufactured, an silicone additive is used to protect the rubber from moisture, caustic solutions, and UV rays. The problem is, over a period of time the additive wears off.
The best solution in getting the tire back looking good, and protecting it is washing with a mild automobile washing detergent. Not dishwashing detergent, not a scrubbing agent like comet cleanser, and not any type solvent based cleaner. Use a somewhat hard bristle brush, and plenty of elbow grease. Although some reccommend brass bristles, I would advise against. I find they tend to scratch the tire and can cause more harm in the long run.
Once washed clean, dry the tire. After the tire is dry use a good tire dressing.
I also am not into the "shiny ghetto look", so I use Stoners tire care. It's call More Shine, however it is not shiny at all, but rather leaves your tire with a look like it's a brand new tire.
Just spary it on, and forget about it. no wipping off. You can get a shiny look by adding a few more coats for those that like the shine..
Old 11-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use it and wipe it off fast, all it does is take off the tan color if you wipe it off fast enough. or just spray onto a towel and rub it on the tire.

Quick Reply: Tire Cleaning HELP!!!!!